Backup and Clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Neverforget, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neverforget

Neverforget Registered Member

I would like to backup my files to an external drive K. However, I get "access denied." I have full administrator privileges. I did back up my D: partition to D: and then was able to "Send to" K:.

If I want to clone my hard drive to K, it will let me, even though I haven't gone through the full process, because I am concerned that it will change my boot order and MBR, etc., which I don't want to do. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly. I would like to just put my entire hard drive on the external drive.

I have the latest build, 2337
    My computer is using a mirrored RAID configuration.
    XP SP2
    2048 MB RAM

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Neverforget,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify what the vendor/model of your external hard drive?

Please make screen shots all of your steps in Acronis True Image 9.0 along with the error message when you create an image to the external hard drive directly.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please note that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please read more in this FAQ article.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Create Image approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.

Since you are interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, I would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Please also note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Neverforget

Neverforget Registered Member

Thanks, it is a Maxtor. And I made Backup work after I used my brain and unlocked the drive. So, all's well.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

It's a tad misleading to say "Clone Disk - moves .... ". Better to say "Clone Disk - copies ... "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.