Backing up in version12

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gillmacca, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gillmacca

gillmacca Registered Member

I am just trying out Acronis v12 with a view to buying, but not quite sure how to backup the way I want.
    Probably easy to do, but just wanted confirmation.
    What I want to do is create a full backup on Sunday @ 11:00, and then incremental backups every day (excluding Sunday) @ 21:00.
    Come the following Sunday, I want it to delete (limited space, so need to delete before creating a new one) and then create a new full backup.

How do I go about setting it up?

2. DLE

DLE Registered Member

If you have a scheduled entry to run your Full Image once a week, when it runs it will overlay / replace the previous version. Make sure you setup the Backup Method to Full from Incremental. The challenge comes when you want to maintain multiple Full Images and their related Incrementals!

3. gillmacca

Thanks for that, but, with me being stupid, could you please tell me step by step how to do this. I know where to go to set up the tasks, but when I tried to create an in incremental backup, it overwrote the original backup file with another full backup, even though I set incremental in the options.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Does this help? Ignore the fact I put the wrong time, just make it 11:00

Attached Files:

5. gillmacca

That helps. Thanks.
    On the second task, what should I set up in 'Target Archive', new backup or existing?

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Add to exisiting - you need to have the same image name.

You should end up with:

backup_full -Sunday backup
    backup_full1 -Monday Inc
    backup_full2 -tuesday Inc
    backup_full3 -Wednesday Inc

etc

Obviously "backup_full" will be whatever name you decide to give to the archive.

Colin

7. gillmacca

Thanks again. I will give that a try

8. gillmacca

I am trying to backup my hard drive (241gb full on Vista Ultimate 64-bit to USB external drive) and it is telling me it will take 5 hrs. Is this normal?

Also, is there a way to exclude certain folders. I would like it to not backup My Documents, Music, Pictures & Videos)

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hmm at the moment, TI is causing much swearing and the cats look worried!

The time is a guestimate and once the job is started, will rapidly change in either direction.

You can exclude folders and under scheduling source file exclusion.

Unless you are trying to image JPG's etc I would guess that your actual image time should take about 40 mins to 1 hour, assuming USB 2 connection, and you don't have databases or Exchange on your system.

Colin

10. EddieA

EddieA Registered Member

This doesn't appear to work.

I got the 1st Full backup OK. I then got a couple of Incremental backups OK.

The issue occurs after the next Full backup. This, correctly, removes the previous Full backup, and creates another. But, it doesn't remove the Incremental ones "attached" to this backup.

So, when the next Incremental backup runs, it just creates yet another one, with the next highest "increment" as the suffix.

Cheers,
    Eddie

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

This case needs a closer investigation. Please submit a request to Acronis Customer Service Department here

You should describe the issue in some words and provide us with the screen shot of the window where the backup files are well-seen.

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture in JPEG format being preferable.

Also please provide us with the log file of the operation when the full backup file has been removed.

Launch the program, select Tasks and logs -> Logs -> Find the appropriate entry -> Make right-click on it -> Save. Send us the log file.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.