Backing-up (Imaging) Linux to Windows

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by squash, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squash

squash Registered Member

I used to use the recovery CD that came with this computer, but didn't like how I have to use a CD each time and a CD was vulerable to scratching. So I decided to go with the hard drive solution, I went and installed Linux (Fedora Core) and used a program in Linux called "Partition Image" which will let me image my Windows XP partition to Linux.

But what I want now is a program to image my Linux partition (Fedora Core) to Windows. So that I have a backup of Linux (as an image) on this Windows partition.

And it has to be free.
    Anyone know of any?

2. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

3. squash

squash Registered Member

I'll try it...

4. squash

squash Registered Member

Alright, I tried it. It won't work under Windows XP, since it's a DOS program (and yes I tried through command prompt). My floppy drive doesn't work and I don't have a CD-Burner.

Is there a similar program that is Win32 (Native Windows) Application?

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I don't quite get it, sorry, but you could try g4u

6. squash

squash Registered Member

OK, I checked. There is no program that can do this apart from Norton Ghost and Partition Image (As far as I know).

End of topic.

7. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

This is a good example of why I like multiboot systems that include some form of DOS, or Windows 98 (which allows the option of booting into DOS).

If you ever repartition your hard drive, you might want to consider setting it up with a small (100 to 300 MB) C: drive and putting FreeDOS on it. You won't use it much, but when you need it you'll be glad you have it. For example, if you have some nasty malware that defies attempts to remove it, you could boot into DOS and run something like F-Prot or NOD32 for DOS. Or you could delete the malware from within DOS if you know which files to delete.

Note: You probably won't be able to do some of the above if WinXP is on a NTFS partition. At least, not without a third-party driver that will allow DOS to read and write to the NTFS partition. If WinXP is on a FAT32 partition, it shouldn't be a problem.

Phil

Last edited: May 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.