Backing up across LAN network.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dave_s, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave_s

dave_s Registered Member

I am using, with no success in LAN mode, ACRONIS True Image ver 8 build 937 on a PC [XP PRO SP2 and 1 GBYTE RAM]. TRUE IMAGE is installed on one PC and there are a total of three PCs on my homebuilt LAN. I am attempting to backup HDD partitions [full images] on the other two PCs through the LAN. The shared HDDs on the other two PCs do not show in TRUE IMAGE 8 list of HDDs in CREATE IMAGE mode. I only see the HDDs listed that are in the PC where TRUE IMAGE is running.

I think the USERS MANUAL says that I should be able to BACKUP HDDs in other PCs which are on the same LAN as the PC I have True Image installed. Am I correct?

I am including network adapter info from each PC on the LAN.
    ----------
    2 PCs run XP PRO and one PC runs WIN98SE.

The PC with TRUE IMAGE 8 installed is a IBM T40 Thinkpad LAPTOP with the network adapter installed on the motherboard. THis PC runs WIN XP PRO SP2 with 1 GB RAM. Adapter info is INTEL(R)PRO/100 VE Network COnnection. Driver 8.0.19.0 dated 3/4/2005.

A TOSHIBA TECRA 8000 333MHz LAPTOP on same network runs WIN98SE.
    ADAPTER ASIX AX88772: USB2 to FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER.

A third PC on the same network is a
    PCI EXPRESS Desktop 1 GB RAM running XP PRO SP2 with LAN adapter on the motherboard. Adapter info is INTEL(R)PRO/100 VE Network COnnection. Driver 8.0.19.0 dated 3/4/2005.

USER MANUAL says I may need to get different LAN drivers from SUPPORT.

I do need some help to get this running.

Thank you, Dave_s

2. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

My experience, and what Acronis has told me, is that you can save an image to a drive on a network, but you cannot actually back up the network drive. Acronis must be installed on the physical PC containing the drive(s) you wish to back up

3. dave_s

dave_s Registered Member

>Acronis must be installed on the physical PC containing the drive(s) you wish to back up.

Ok, I do understand and will try to install TI8 on that LAPTOP PC.

However, right now, I still cannot see any of the network drives where I could save the new image.

I just ran TI 8 on the DESKTOP PC which has TI8 installed. In the CREATE IMAGE mode, I did the whole procedure, select partition to image, then tried to find a HDD and partition ON THE NETWORK to store the new image. Did not see any HDD on other PCs that are on the network in TI8 list. I am logged into another PC on the network and can see folders that HDD. TI8 will not show me the LAN HDD in their list of HDDs.

Am I using TI 8 wrong that is not letting me see those netorked HDDs?
    I sure appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks, Dave_S

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Here is what I do. I use the network imaging whenever I can.
    I don't have Ti installed on any pc. I use the latest Ti boot cd.
    I have backup folders setup as shared on a single desktop on a second partition.
    If I want to create an image of a laptop and save it to the desktop shared folder, I boot the laptop with the Ti cd, and Ti shows all the networked computers. Then, log onto the shared desktop, (with admin pssword) choose the shared folder where I want to save the tib files and create image.
    I don't have the complete hdrives shared, just folders.
    To restore back to the laptop, I boot that laptop with the cd and go to the network shared folder to get the tib files.
    Just make sure your shares etc work properly in windows first, even though you won't be using Ti in that mode.

This is actually my preferred method of using Ti and it works flawlessly.

Your intel lan chips should be no problem, but I have never completely trusted any usb to lan adapters. They can cause unnecessary problems. Just try your intel lans first to test the proceedure.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dave,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please be aware that as arf1410 has mentioned above Acronis True Image 8.0 allows you to create an image of the local hard drive saving it to the shared network drive\folder, but it does not allow you to backup network drives. If you are interested in performing the backup process remotely (backup remote machine) then please take a look at Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation features.

As for the problem you encounter, please check if sharing permissions for the network drive you try to save your image to are set to Full Control.

Please also try to specify the full UNC path to the desired computer in the "File name" edit box, e.g. \\server\share.

If that does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- What exactly do you mean when saying that you "cannot see any of the network drives"?

- Describe your network structure in more detail (software and hardware vendors, versions, models, ports and protocols, etc.);

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 and see if the problem still persists. Let us know the result.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.