Back up software questions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Lazarey, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazarey

Lazarey Registered Member

I just recevied a PC from Velocity Micro and I've heard that you should do a backup before you install anything so that you can restore it to the way it came from the factory if something goes wrong (that's the way I understand it at least).
    I'm kind of new to computers and I would like to know the best software to get. Blackspear recommends Acronis True Image, is that the best one?
    I only have one hard drive in the computer and I don't have a external hard drive either. Can I use DVD+R to do the backup?
    Also, can I use the free trial download of Acronis to do the first backup so I can go ahead and start installing things? I'd rather wait to get the full version until I have a little more money.

Thanks for reading!

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

From what I read VM sells a relatively clean machine e.g. no crapware. Just to lessen the load, uninstall any apps you have no use for and do a quick registry cleaning. You can use Eusing Registry Cleaner:

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

You "can" use the trial version of ATI to do a BU to DVD / CD. I would read / do a search in the ATI forum carefully prior to doing a DVD BU directly from PC. In the past there have been some issues w/ this procedure.

hth,

...screamer

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Lazarey

What machine did you get from VelocityMicro. They usually provide Recovery CD's and windows CD's. Check and see what disks they gave you.

Pete

4. Lazarey

I bought the Vector GX Holiday Edition and I did pay the extra money for a backup disk from Velocity Micro. I just thought that maybe I should do a backup with a well known program. Or will the VM disk be fine?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  5. Peter2150

Thats fine to get the machine back to it's factory state, but won't protect added software, and data.

6. Peter2150

Trust me Screamer. That machine is clean. I've bought five of them and there is never anything on them you didn't want when you bought it. That's one of the many reason's I love dealing with those folks.

Pete

7. screamer

screamer Registered Member

That's nice to know Pete. I think I'll keep that in my "things to remember" box :)

...screamer

8. Lazarey

Great! That's all I wanted to do for right now anyway!

Thanks so much for everyones help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.