Back Up on DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Stefan Hecht, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan Hecht

Stefan Hecht Registered Member

True Image Home 9.0: it is not possible to make a Back Up on DVD+RW. Otherwise it is possible to make a Back UP on CD RW and DVD. My computer system is Windows XP. The German support nannot solve this problem.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Stefan, backing up to any kind of optical media is very very slow. It would be much better to backup to another hard drive. If your system is a laptop, use an external usb drive.

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Stefan,

I would agree with Ralphie. Not only that, "write once" optical is fairly unreliable compared to disk - and I personally wouldn't even consider relying on a RW.

Go the disk route. It's easier all round.

F.

4. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

I agree with foghorne. It is even possible that when copying and optical back to a hard drive that the image will not verify.

5. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

I agree that backing up directly to CD/DVDs is a effort in frutility. I do backup to DVDs, but first I go to a USB hard disk. I find that about 3-4 out of 10 DVD disks, fail ! If I'm successful in building a complete image backup on to DVDs (IE: I verify source versus target after the burn process and then verify the DVD backup with TI Validation) and if it passes this criteria, I CAN restore a operational disk from the backup DVDs. But it is not easy. I have tried every brand of media with about the same success as I described here.

If you realize how the data is recorded on a DVD/CD, you will immediately realize that this media will never replace a TAPE DRIVE/TAPE MEDIA for low cost backup. Magnetic tape is much more reliable than the burning process of CD/DVD. This media works great for videos/still pictures and audio, but if you lose a bit in any one of these creations, you won't miss a thing, but in a disk backup, you could lose a part of the MBR.

Storage_man

6. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Can't agree with you about the tape, Storage_man. A few years ago I lost a years worth of work even though I had several sets of backup tapes. Even though they were all verified (or whatever it was called) all of them were corrupt. And this on a fairly new zip drive.

I've never had any problem with data stored on a CD or DVD once it was written. Could be a first time so I store on DVDs and on a separate external hard drive. Am paranoid after that event. Even all those backups won't save me if the pc gods frown.

Marliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.