back to the drawing board..

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    ive got my new ram a few weeks ago now and the pc works better turn on in morning and off and night and no reboots in between.
    today it was going very slow when i logged out of my dad's account back in to mine. i minimize e.g. vlc media player and it takes like 30seconds to show again everytime. so i rebooted and its now fine.
    also when i closed IE7 it showed a bad memory error.
    so what could be causing this bad memory errors?
    corropt paging file maybe?
    power supply damaging the ram?
    if i delete the paging file will windows create a new one after a reboot?
    lodore

2. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hey Lodore.

Could be you got a flaky stick of memory, they're not seated all the way down or perhaps heat is affecting them, though I think you'd be seeing more serious problems, like BSODs. You could try testing the memory with http://www.memtest.org/ or http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

I'd also run CHKDSK on your HDD and let it scan for bad sector by checking the box for that. You'll need to reboot and it will take a while to scan the whole HDD or partition.

Windows will recreate a Paging File if you delete it. Probably best to let windows handle the Paging File instead of limiting it. I personally go into GPEDIT and enable the Paging File to be flushed between reboots.

As long as you got the correct RAM the PS should not affect the memory.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i got two brand new sticks on corsair ram in this pc to replace the old ones.
    the old ram sticks gave me alot of bsod's. so with the current sticks it doesnt bsod and is genraly very stable but i sometimes still get memory errors.
    lodore

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

With so many different nuances with memory chips and boards, sometimes new replacements may not work properly. My desktop supposedly has a maximum 256MB limit, so I thought I would add a 128 MB with a 64MB stick. For some reason, the system would not boot up correctly. When I switched the 64 MB stick with a 32 MB one, it boots up. The 64MB stick was brand new and I don't think that it was defective (I returned it anyway).

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

what mobo?

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

...and which BIOS version? BIOS updates often address stability problems.

Nick

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think the better question is exactly what the error message says?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

error reading memory address faulting module .e.g opera.exe
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.