B&R11: Long time to have a differential backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by MarcP, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I'm currently evaluating B&R11 and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I set up a cyclic backup task that ran overnight to make the first full backup. Took 3 hours to complete.

Now, I'm running it again to create a differential backup. I'd suspect this backup would be much quicker than the full backup since little has changed. However, B&R still takes a unusually long time for the diff backup. The size of the new PBF file is barely growing, though, signaling a proper differential backup. It is not taking as long as the full backup, but we're still talking about well over an hour.

Is it normal for a differential backup to take this long?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

This topic has been discussed in these forums. I think the basic answer is that to create the differential image it is necessary to check if each sector has changed, and this takes time.

Three hours to create a backup is too long. Are you backing up the entire disk? I usually create and restore images of the system partition (Windows 7 x64) in less than 10 minutes.

3. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

It's a 189GB backup of everything on my machine.

I asked this because diff backups with ATI2012 take less than 10 minutes. But if that's how B&R11 functions, then that's the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.