B&R 10 Worked Wonderfully!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bbriley, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

I just want to report a success story using B&R 10 last evening. Background - I did a clean install of Windows 7 in late November, using a new 160 GB hard drive to replace my old 40 GB C:\ drive. I also have an 80 GB drive (with D:\ and E:\ partitions) running which is several years old; it contains my documents, downloads, etc., and it used to be where I'd install large games. Since I installed Win 7, I've been getting periodic cautions (and several blue screen crashes) about an unspecified driver problem, which I can't track down. Otherwise, I really like Win 7 so far.

Last evening, I removed Norton 360 v. 3.8, which I have liked, since I was getting the growing feeling that some of its maintenance features were interfering with Windows or other 3rd party maintenance utilities. I was going to replace it with Avast 5 free AV and PC Tools free firewall. I was in the midst of installing Avast 5 when without warning, I had a BAD bsod crash - I don't blame Avast, even though I had the crash - I think the latter was possibly related to the unknown driver issue. In all cases, I could NOT reboot into Windows after that crash. I booted into safe mode, but could fix nothing - the "windows restore" feature had been damaged. On top of it all, Windows had shifted its identification of my new C:\ drive to F:\.

Finally, in desperation, I decided to use B&R 10 with its Linux boot disk to restore my C:\ drive fully with my latest image for it from my 360 GB external USB drive! I watched nervously to see if the machine would boot from the B&R CD (Linux style) and it did! First victory! Then I went through the steps to tell it to restore the C:\ drive from that latest image - 9 days old. After 35 minutes, the drive (35 GB of operating system and programs) had been restored per the B&R Linux screen.

With bated breath, I removed the B&R CD and rebooted - and lo and behold, my Windows 7 booted up perfectly! And the C:\ drive was again known by Windows as C:\ (instead of F:\). Windows has run wonderfully ever since, although I didn't tempt fate by installing Avast (even though I don't blame Avast for the crash until/unless I learned more). Instead, I installed the new Windows Essentials AV and Antispyware, plus the PC Tools Free Wirewall.

I could have cried with joy at seeing Windows running like new - and I have Paragon's B&R 10 and the Paragon staff to thank! I appreciate Paragon's hard work - and the input from this forum - for helping develop such a good program as B&R 10.

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Thanks for the post bbriley, we are glad to hear it worked well for you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.