B]Netscape 8.0 Feedback ?[/B]

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hard Rocker, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Hi, :D

Has anyone tried the Netscape 8.0 Browser as yet ? I installed it on the weekend & found it was loaded with " bugs " and other problems. Although I'm NOT a frequent Netscape user .... I do use it once in a while.

I have reinstalled Netscape 7.2 in a seperate folder .... with a seperate profile for now as a simple task such as making a post is even a hassle. I hit backspace on my keyboard and was kicked out of the " posting area " losing all of my post completely. This is just one of the " great " new features of the 8.0 version. :mad:

I made a few posts over in the Netscape Forum & apparently there are a lot of other irate 8.0 users as well !!

HR :cool:

2. webhead

webhead Guest

I would make sure you read the EULA before using this browser. It sounds a lot like spyware to me. I wouldn't touch it after reading the EULA. Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood webhead. ;)

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. Hard Rocker

Hi Ron, :)

I'm not sure if I fully understand & unfortunately I'm also a bit pressed for time. :doubt:

Would this be correct ?

I clicked on the link that you posted. Went to that site & then clicked on the Microsoft link & had no problem arriving at the site in question. Does this mean that I " DO NOT " have the problem associated with the Netscape 8.0 install ?

Thanks for the responses guys !! ;)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I suppose if you got there using IE, you don't have a problem. :D

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used it since it was Beta. Maybe I do not recognize bugs, but it runs well on my machine. In fact although I also have IE, FF and NS 7.2 I have 8.0 set as my default browser.

Jerry

7. Hard Rocker

:oops: err .... ehh .... duh .... need I say more !!

Thanks for the subtle wake up Ron. :rolleyes:

I will go & wipe the rest of the egg off of my face now .... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: !!!

8. Hard Rocker

I tried to run an online scan from the Panda website last night & did not have any success. o_O

Could this be related to the Netscape / Internet Explorer / xml issue ..... or is it something else ?

I also have the Trend Micro House Call on line scanner that works through IE as well ..... installed.

Could that possibly be related to the Panda issue ?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Netscape 8 and Internet Explorer's XML Rendering

We’ve just confirmed an issue that has started to be reported on newsgroups and forums that after installing Netscape 8 the XML rendering capabilities of Internet Explorer no longer work. That means that if you navigate in IE to an XML file such as an RSS feed http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/rss.xml or an XML file with an XSLT transformation applied then rather than seeing the data you are presented with a blank page.

We currently have the following work around for people that are hitting this issue:

1. Uninstall Netscape 8
    2. START->RUN
    1. Type: regedit
    2. Hit ENTER
    3. Navigate to the following:
    4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension
    5. Highlight and right-click the node titled "xml" and select delete.
    6. Restart Internet Explorer

Unfortunately if Netscape 8 remains installed then the registry key is continually rewritten so this is an essential step if you are to be able to view XML content in IE.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/05/25/421763.aspx

10. Hard Rocker

:D Just to make any Netscape 8.0 and IE users that are having the problem mentioned above with XML files aware .... I have followed the steps as detailed in Ron's post (directly above) & had NO problems whatsoever.

I am now able to see the page in question .... rather than a " blank " page when I use IE and the test link which Ron has posted.

Thanks once again .... Ron !!

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to hear Hard Rocker. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.