AxCrypt files with 7-Zip encryption...Too much?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Tyrizian, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I've been encrypting my personal data with AxCrypt, then I encrypt the AxCrypt file with 7-Zip encryption...Both with different passwords (Around 26 characters a piece). I understand either one on it's own is pretty much powerful, but do you think the way I am doing it is too much?

I've been pretty much comfortable doing it this way, but I figured why not get the opinion from Wilders users.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Yes it's too much :p Only 1 should be enough.If your comfortable with it then stay with it.

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Is 7-Zip still developed? I use it and like it, but there hasn't been an update in some time.

4. Tyrizian

:D :thumb:

5. Tyrizian

There is an Alpha version that was released in June 2012, so I assume that it's still being developed. As far as when it'll be out of Alpha...not too sure.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I gave AxCrypt a try the other day, but it comes bundled with OpenCandy and unless I blindly allowed something, which I don't think I did, it gave me no choice whether or not to install OpenCandy. o_O I disliked this behavior.

I had installed it in Sandboxie, so no biggie...

7. Tyrizian

There is an option to Opt-Out of that...You just have to carefully look for the deselection box during installation.

8. m00nbl00d

Are you sure about that? o_O I redownloaded the installer, and after initiating it I get the first window prompt, I hit Next, and it automatically installs AxCrypt. No options, at all.

The version is 1.7.2931.0, FWIW.

9. Tyrizian

Yes, I am sure

I was able to do it with no problem

As for a deselection box, I was wrong on that...You simply hit the cancel button when the OpenCandy offer is present.

It even tells you on their site...

10. m00nbl00d

Yes, I've seen the warning at their website. But, the thing is, is not that easy to figure out which window belongs to what. Things should be more clear. I don't recall, but I don't think that first window prompt has any OpenCandy info on it. :ouch:

11. Tyrizian

Here is a couple of screenshots that I snipped from the user manual:

When you launch the installer, it will then ask you to accept the license agreement.

AXC01.jpg

When you accept the license agreement, you'll then get a window that looks something like this (OpenCandy offer). At that point you'll want to hit "Cancel"

AXC02.jpg

Once you hit "Cancel", AxCrypt will continue to install

When finished, AxCrypt will be successfully installed with no OpenCandy offer.

12. m00nbl00d

And, the EULA is the first prompt I get. I confused 'I agree' with 'Next', though. After 'I agree', then it automatically installs, and the last window I get is the 'Completed the AxCrypt 1.7.2931.0 Setup Wizard'.

Nothing else happens. No option to Opt-Out/Cancel OpenCandy.

13. Tyrizian

Hmmm, that's strange, because when I installed it, it allowed me to opt-out of OpenCandy.

There's not much more I can think of then.

Did you download the file from the actual website, or third party?

14. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I've been using Axcrypt for several months and have been very pleased with it. I had the same problem with that OpenCandy garbage - but it depends from where you download the installation file.

As I recall I bailed out of the installation using the installation file from the company. I got a clean copy (no OpenCandy) from either Sourceforge or Softpedia - I don't recall which one. So maybe you'll do better if you go to one of these alternate sites.

15. m00nbl00d

I actually downloaded it from/via Softpedia, but Softpedia provides a direct link only; not a self-hosted version.

Anyway, using Sandboxie/Universal Extract (I think) I can easily get the *.msi installer which is clean installer. :)

16. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Then I'm guessing I got it from Sourceforge - but anyway, glad you got it installed - it's a VERY helpful tool.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yes it's too much. Just go with 7-Zip. ;)

18. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Oh yeah - back to the original question - using both is way over the top.

Better to use one - with a strong password. IMHO, one strong password is a better defense than 2 wimpy ones;)

19. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i would do it the other way round.

7-Zip encrypt folder, then AxCrypt that = :)

This prevents AxCrypt taking a while to individualy encrypt each file in a folder. The more there, the longer it takes. Encrypting just one Zipped folder, is a LOT faster = :thumb:

I've done the above MANY times over the years, with NO issues !

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.