AX64/Realcopy - Image Backup - General Discussion

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wajamus, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Just had a quick look at the new beta.

I think the interface is a bit bland and is difficult to reverse your direction, ie if you go to back up it is not easy to go back to restore from the initial opening page, also it re-opens from where you were last - that might be helpful but would prefer to have a standard opening page.

For me I prefer an opening page more like Active@ Image where all the options are presented for you. Maybe you could set it to simple and advanced?

At the moment you have to search for options and stumble across them by accident. For instance it is not obvious how you mount an image until you click on one are presented. That by the way does not work - does not mount the image.

When selecting a partition to backup the full list of partitions is not shown and there is no scroll bar to see the rest. Also they are not listed alphabetically.

I hope this is of some help to you.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

kind of agree with most of the comments here. i have to dig to much to find what i want. i was hoping for a better layout than before and to me this is just kinda the same but looks a bit different.

3. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Waj, I appreciate the efforts to make the interface better, and I agree that it really needs more of an overhaul — a rethinking of sorts.

Life is already so complicated. For me, what makes great software is intuitive ease of use. AX has that for the most part. Kind of hard for me to screw it up too badly. Not that I'm not capable of it! :p

The Real Copy interface, in my limited view, would benefit from "borrowing" from the best interfaces out there (some are suggested above). You don't have to reinvent the wheel, just dedicate the time and resources to fashioning your own version of the best wheel.

AND, if this means we have to wait longer, and it seems that obviously we would have to as these things take time, then so be it. WARNING: first impressions with the general public stick around for a long time, and while this new interface is better...

Personally, I want/need the full stop RC with AX, but will not be able to spend many hours here on the forum just trying to figure out the basics. My forum time is spent trying to get the deeper stuff, and supporting others with what I've already grokked.

I also understand that time and human/financial resources are likely taxed. So breathe slowly and deeply, and choose next steps from a centered, grounded, wise place and we'll support you best we can.

Peace,
    Chamlin

4. wajamus

wajamus Registered Member

AX64 will may support backup of multiple partitions, but the interface would then have to substantially change to have a dash board like Realcopy. So you can monitor the backup status of those partitions. When RC is commercial, we would probably have a free discount code to allow free license to new RC for folks that already own a license to AX64. Still discussing this though.

The current RC uses the Realimg engine. The new RC will use what exists in AX64 now with some mods. So its performance would be the same as what you see in AX64 but with multi-partition and all the other bells and whistles.

5. wajamus

Re: The Difference Between Realcopy and AX64 Time Machine

Hi Stigg,

Yes RC is compatible with Win 8.1 However, it's Fast Restore that is missing from it - so you won't get the quick restores that AX64 has. Otherwise, it'll backup and restore just fine on Win 8.1

Thanks

Waj

6. wajamus

Thank you Chamlin for your comments. You've always been so appreciative and supportive. We're very grateful. :)

I must say that the UI is still glitchy. UI is supposed to have a subtle prompt animation that tells user to click on the backup task to reveal all the options. But this doesn't seem to come up.

This isn't the final UI, it's still a draft phase and AX64 is still going to be as simple as we can make it. Thanks for the comments guys and the feedback does help!

Regards,

Waj

7. normanbg

normanbg Registered Member

I would be more than happy to provide feedback, if only RC would install in my XP machines.

Norman

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I don't understand why the GUI currently is as said "glitchy".

Isn't it being pretested first in house running it thru multiple computer platforms for quality control?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have you actually installed it and run it?

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yes i have Pete and in all honesty am not in the least encouraged at this point. Objectively speaking on my current experience with it doesn't exactly equate to dismissing it's future possibilities (if any).

But it should also be noted as most other membership here already knows, i'm not so naive as to either unfairly express blind criticism or in no way discount it's possible potential before it's even had a chance to advance thru the usual various stages of releases, tests, and results.

EASTER

11. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Has Realcopy had the AX64 engine integrated into it yet? Is Realcopy even being developed any more? The last (and only) update on the site is from November 20th.

12. Chamlin

Yes, Waj' last post was on the 13th of January, responding to a number of us giving feedback on the "improved" gui. They're working, we're waiting and hoping.

13. wajamus

Thanks for your waiting and hoping guys! A new AX64 has been released which officially fixed the Win 8 issues. Realcopy will have the AX64 features of fast restore integrated in pretty soon.

Thank you :)

14. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

THanks for the update waj, much appreciated.

15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

The version listed on your website says Workstation Version 1.0.781.0 which is the same as the last version. Is this correct?

16. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

The update was for AX64, not RealCopy.

17. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Ok - thanks. Didn't read it correctly, just looked at the thread heading and saw Realcopy.

18. bcw

bcw Registered Member

I am playing with realcopy on multiple machines for backups, but have a limitation with the interface for the destinations.

The backups will be to a mounted directory on a central NAS, but I can't seem to specify a directory within that mount for the backups for each machine. I should be able to have one share for the backups for all the machines, and a separate directory for each machine within that share which I can select as the backup destination.

19. normanbg

Originally Posted by wajamus [quoted from the AX64 forum]

"We're focusing only on AX64 and it'll keep improving as long as you guys keep supporting."

Does that mean Realcopy is moribund? It sure looks that way from the lack of progress in its development, its stagnant home page, and the dearth of activity on this forum.

Norman

20. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Registered Member

I think they are a little (or maybe a bit more than that) overwhelmed by their job maintaining and improving 2 programs at the same time.
    It could be that they decided to concentrate first on AX64, which at its current state certainly is in better shape to do the advertised function as a backup program.

Judging from AX64 thread, it seems that even more people are trying/using it now (those who weren't there during early days of that thread). More people means more machine configurations, and with the additional complication created by Ms with its 8 and .1, a software that once was thought to be almost "there" now becomes further and further from "there."

It makes sense for the developers to scramble for it.

And in a way, that will benefit Realcopy in the long run. They will share the same engine after all.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I read that WIN9 is due next year, so development will never slow down.

22. mxyzptlk

Poor developers then :D

23. Chamlin

Nah, Windows 9 will be seamless and easy for developers to work with. A work of art. Rewritten from the ground up by 14 year old kids with none of the baggage of days gone by. The arrangement is that everyone over 33 years old will have to stay in Washington and the 14 year olds will code Win 9 at Harry Potter Land. And it will be delivered early! The best part is that they're getting paid in XBoxes!!!
    :D

24. normanbg

I can't use AX64 because I require single-disk multi-partition support and I can't even install Realcopy because my machines are XP. I think I'll just give up on this team/software and move on.

25. mxyzptlk

I really cannot understand it. Must be lingo of earth's natives (or US's) :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.