Avoid Google Maps with GNOME Maps on GNU/Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by guest, Apr 14, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Avoid Google Maps with GNOME Maps on GNU/Linux
    Mike takes a look at GNOME Maps, a Google Maps alternative, for GNU/Linux devices and reveals whether it is a suitable alternative for users.
    April 14, 2018

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/14/avoid-google-maps-with-gnome-maps-on-gnu-linux/

2. SnowWalker

SnowWalker Registered Member

Thanks!

I've already been using Gnome Maps for a while, and I'm enjoying it. After moving to Linux a couple of months ago I first installed KDE Marble as I was familiar with it from Windows. I now use Gnome Maps most of the time after finding it. I do occasionally use Marble when I want to use a topo map or something.

Gnome Maps is my favorite though, as the article says, it is smooth, simple, and it works. I'm also using Mint 18.3, the Cinnamon version, so I guess a Gnome product is automatically a better fit than a KDE product. When I first installed Marble it would ask if I wanted to use KDE password or something every time I started it, if I recall I had to install the password manager and then uninstall it to get it to go away. Then to get routing directions to work on Marble I had to download some kind of regional files, even though it would map out the route on the map, and then say "no route found" in the panel that's supposed to show the directions. Gnome Maps routing worked right off.

So Gnome Maps is my first choice for most purposes, but if you need a few more features (and possibly more aggravation), or you're on Windows (and just happen to be reading the UNIX forum for some reason), you may want to also try KDE Marble.

The Gnome Maps version I'm using is 3.18, it appears that they are working on route printing in 3.20. https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Maps/Roadmap

I haven't seen the need to use Google Earth with Gnome Maps and Marble.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.