avk/extendia/f-secure/etc vs kav

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

ive got a question regarding update frequency and speed in these programs.

the multi engined avs will necessarily score better in test than kav, i guess thats natural. but how do these compare to kav (or any other original engine) when it comes to new viruses ? say viruses that have appeared in the last 48 hours ? my kav gets updates fromt eh kav server every 3 hours or so, while, according to a guy i know who works for f-secure, it takes about 24 hours from the new definitions are released by kav b4 they are available to f-secure users.

this makes me believe that f-secure etc are always lagging 24 hours or more behind kav...not sure if teh same applies to the other kav based av's

so im thinking, these avs would score quite poorly in a test with only brand new viruses ?

any thoughts?

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Quote:-"the multi engined avs will necessarily score better in test than kav"
    Why do you assume this when most test results don't bear this out?

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

tahoma,

That's true indeed. Most/all Antiviruses using a KAV engine as well are depending on Kaspersky for releasing dababase updates to imply. This could well take 24 hours or more. GData/AVK (a very nice AV) as a standard releases even less KAV engine-based database updates as a standard (unless in emergencies); once a week. One has to cough up a handful of extra bucks for "premium" updates, delivered on a (intra) daily basis. And - even then the delay as mentioned above comes into play.

In principle and solely in regard to the KAV engine: yes - at maximum that is.

It does.

regards.

paul

4. steve1955

Just a thought could the AVs that use the Kav engine use the Kav defs? if so couldn't they be downloaded from the Kav ftp site and then copied to the "bases" folder of whichever AV the user is using then the updates would be available at the same time as Kav users,or are they altered in some way to make each AV using the Kav engine unique(hope that makes sense the way I've phrased it!)

5. Paul Wilders

For sure AVK/Extendia will not allow this; I'm pretty sure same goes for F-Secure :)

regards.

paul

6. steve1955

Thats a pity!

7. _anvil

_anvil Registered Member

[hint]It's worth a try... [/hint] ;)

From my experience, it works with both mentioned AVs (although AVK displayed a warning about wrong checksum or something- but it still worked...) :cool:

8. Paul Wilders

Did you read the EULA from both AVs?

regards.

paul

9. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys

do we know if the same lag applies to the other engines used, such as bitdefender and rav ?

and if so, wouldnt it be pretty dangerous to use avk/f-ecure etc as they wouldnt protect you against the new viruses, especially in case of an epidemic like mydoom or netsky etc? 24+ hours with no protection against those sounds scary

10. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Just a quick note...

It's useful to remember that EULA has no legal power in many countries.

It is called a "one-sided legally non-binding agreement" in many countries and as such has no legal consequence whatsoever. Except in the USA :)

I for one wouldn't use a single Microsoft/Apple/Sun/<add your favourite software supplier here> software if I had to agree & obey their EULAs.

regards,
    halcyon

11. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

That's news to me :eek:

12. steve1955

just to add to this discussion in the UK there are what are regarded in law as "unfair contracts" and are not legally binding,I think that a fair no. of software EULAs would fall into that category,I bet no software manufacturer would try to enforce them through the courts for fear of losing and setting a legal precedent that would apply to all EULAs

13. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i too have tried f-secure with kav bases downloaded from kaspersky ftp( i used x-bases)

but the updates thing is the main reason why i prefer KAV..

i've sent some undetected nasties to samples@f-secure.com, but even in those cases kav had detection first..

BUT in a res alert virus emergency i think the situation is different and f-secure gets faster updates, AFAIK they don't solely rely on kav updates, they do make their own too..

14. wizard

wizard Registered Member

According to the data that av-test.org collects about the reaction time of different vendors KAV is still much faster than F-Secure. So no advantage of F-Secure in emergency cases. :(

wizard

15. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I am not sure - is it possible with eScan antivirus?

16. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Not sure about Escan, but AVK for example has some sort of protection that doesn't allow to use the original KAV signatures.

wizard

17. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i agree Lars.. kav is the fastest.. no other av comes even close to their reaction time
    i've submitted lot's of (undetected)nasties to kav, fastest response was 15 minutes= detected with next update

that's why i use it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.