Avira's webguard

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mars, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mars

Mars Registered Member

I have recently purchased outpost pro 2009. Now, I know it is a firewall - and a very good one - but with all the tiny details and layer of security it provides (ASpyware, etc) should i go on and try the professional version for the webguard, or stick with the free version just for the virus guard.

i do A LOT of surfing, so was if wondering if the web guard is essential and compatible with Outpost. Plus, i bought a new 64bit laptop, so i want to do things right this time (but keep it light):D

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

HyMars
    If avira is installed first,during the outpost installation it will detect Avira(free or paid doesn't matter ) and outpost will disable it's antispyware module.
    If outpost is installed first the antispyware will remain but you can easily disable it.
    The webguard interferes with outpost .It's not this why i don't use it ,i use Firefox +No script and Opera as browsers and i don't see the need for webguard protection.
    Ie still has by far the largest side of the market(don't understand why!!!!),and my personal opinion is that this is the reason why such protection was added to the av's.
    One more thing.Since avira & outpost are my current realtime security choices i did perform in the limit of my knowlegde many tests involving real malware against this setup,and i was very pleased by the results.
    A few things that can also help tighten your security:
    IP Blocklist feature in Outpost :the link with for the list of rogue sites is in hayc59 post.
    Also you can take full advantage by this feature by blocking entire countries using this database (i use p2p so this is not for me)

3. Mars

Mars Registered Member

thx for the reply:D.

so avira free, outpost 2009, no script, with a hint of SAS for on-demand scanning. But i do disapprove of how Avira free promotes the paid versions with annoying pop-ups, guh:rolleyes:.

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm back to AntiVir (paid) + Outpost, and I don't see the need for the web guard. The web guard slows my surfing down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.