Aviras AV just added some new features.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Mine updated today fine, except the tray-icon disappeared. It's still active in task mgr. though. Tried fresh install with new exe from majorgeeks, same thing. I like AntiVir though so I'll give it a few days (maybe) ....

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Yep i am chimming in. It is working perfectly on Vista as usual so far. Hopefully it will remain that way :thumb: And as far as the web scan goes, everything gets scanned by Avira one way or another. I don't need to see the words HTTP scan on avira to know it will scan it. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. shek

shek Registered Member

But it makes perfect sense from marketing point of view. What's the point to buy the suite if there is only three addons, firewall/antiphish/antispam, comparing to premium.

If i was the avira's marketing manager, I would also add mail guard into the suite to make it more appealing and lower the price for premium.

4. shek

shek Registered Member

Confirmed. no more local communication, listening to 127.0.0.1, at least in my machine.

5. elvis1959

elvis1959 Registered Member

I just downloaded the latest version of the Premium Security Suite. Do I need a license key to evaluate it? If so, how do I get it? Also, do I need a separate spyware program? If so, what do you recommend?

6. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

It downloads the updates, stops the applications, and then my pc restarts :(

I've had this happen 3 times now... have posted already in their forum, but I thought i'd try here in case anyone has a solution?

There is a thread there already about the update causing a reboot loop, but that's on vista, and not what happens to me anyway.

XP home, sp2 btw.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thank you for confirming this shek. I'm assuming this is part of Aviras self protection. There is an option to turn it off, but I'm not messin' with it ;)

Now, if I can just find out what the 5 unknown SSDT hooks are. I don't remember seeing them before. I hope I didn't get a nasty :ouch:

Cheers, innerpeace

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Now it hangs on shut-down and the boot-up screen hangs for about 30 secs. Must be some sort of conflict because when trying to uninstall/reinstall it freezes up for about the same time. New installer didn't help, nor following forum advice about this and the disappearing icono_O

9. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Ι can confirm the absence of the 'local' communications!

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Well I just had to reinstall Avira IS after hearing about this update. I had a slight problem with a lost license key. My fault entirely :rolleyes:, but got the help I needed at the Avira forum.

The install and initial update went without a problem. Even my old nemeses, the full system scan, and I ran two just to make sure, ran perfectly. Life is good again. ;) :D

11. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Of course I tested new Avira suite. Its nice what they done, but still the firewall is for me a big puzzle. You still need to joggle with adapter rules that I don't understand to apply different settings for different network adapters.

All I want is a simple way to lock in / out networks or computers (e.g. for my home network LAN adapter can be trusted, if I connect to university network it should not be - I don't see how you can do sth. like this with Avira). So far Norton provides the most user friendly way to do this. Until that hasn't changed I will stay away from Avira.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Great work :D, but I thought that the Free version will also have the HTTP Scanner... :(

13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

oh...they have no Adspy detection in the free version and you want http scanner. :p

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already have protection for Adware/Spyware... ;)

But no problem about the HTTP Scanner...

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I have noticed some slow downs when loading some online videos, and some flash player content, with Avira's HTTP scanner activated. Other than that, I can't tell the difference when activated, or deactivated.

Here's a good place to check out what I mean.

http://www.maybach-manufaktur.com/index.php

EDIT.........When I do a speed test at speakeasy.com, my download speeds are actually higher with the http scanner activated, than when it's not.

16. Diver

Diver Registered Member

FWIW, I was using Avira Classic on Vista in a VM and there have been problems with updates since week (as in Monday through Thursday). I pulled it today and installed my favorite of the 3 well known free AV's, AVG. For whatever may be wrong with AVG in the eyes of some around here, at least it updates without any problem.

Updating of free and trial AV's is a touchy business. Check the Nod32 support forum and there are past instances of update outages on their trial version. It just happens.

17. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Nice to see the new features. But does anyone know when the firewall might be improved?

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

:D Is the avatar changed back yet? I didn't check.

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

And now the Avira Icon shows in the Security Center for all 3 Components :cool: Including the Firewall which previously was missing the Avira Icon in Vista the New Updated Suite will Rock your Socks Off! :cautious:

20. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I have 2 copies of Avira, one PE Premium and one of the Suite.

No problems with the PE Prem one and not much changed. It's always worked really, really well so that's a good thing! :cool:

The Suite's http scanner seems to slow down pages a little or just make them load all at once like it says on Avira. I played around with it a bit and then deactivated it, mostly because my PC runs a little snappier without it. I only have 512 RAM so that's no surprise to me. When I get a much, much better PC soon, I'll give the HTTP scanner another try, though. If it works well, I'll keep it on. :)

The new firewall seems to be somewhat better at blocking leaktests, as promised. For example, I tried Thermite and it actually told me Thermite.exe was trying to launch IE to connect.

The only complaint I have about the suite is that if you have the Web Guard installed, you get 2 rows of tabs at the top of the control center. I think they really should have made the GUI a bit longer to accommodate just one row of tabs. It looks much cleaner. :D

Overall, Avira did a very good job. It's nice to know that they took suggestions (such as for self protection and more leak test protection) seriously. Nice to have a company that listens!

21. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

ohhhhhh, self protection has improved?

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm Good at Self Prtection, I've even protected Tom & Katie :cool: I'm for Hire at $750 per hour :cool:

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

On the status part of Antivir free version,it has a section called "Last complete system Scan" Mine says "Not Performed"

I can look into the Reports and I'll find " Scan, no virus or unwanted program found!"

So Do I understand it to be,that if a person wants a complete system scan done,you manually have to?

Thanks!

24. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

The self-protection is very strong (both APT and SPT failed to terminate avguard.exe), however Antivir can be stopped with SC.
    For some reason the tray icon remains open when the computer boots with the guard service set to disabled.
    Unfortunately I had to uninstall Antivir Classic because the update originated a conflict that caused incorrect recording of CD/DVD disks :mad: :'( :thumbd: (unreadable disks, lots of events 7, 11 and 51).
    After uninstalling Antivir, the DVD unit is working flawless again.

25. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Good to know it passed those two. :)

Also, I'm curious, what is SC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.