Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I think that "Ask" has washed their brains :D

2. guest

guest Guest

Actually, they're talking about this...

Attached Files:

• TB.jpg
      TB.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thanks.

Just found it in program files.

I assume this can be deleted.??

4. guest

guest Guest

Don't bother to do that, they'll be back. I personally don't really mind with those, though I'm using the free version so even if I do, I don't have a right to complain. :p

5. The Red Moon

Thanks again.

It really doesnt bother me that much.

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Parts of the toolbar installer, it's the same theme already discussed on Avira forums.

Toolbar is not, by no means, installed on your pc.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is actually true, it is insane how Avira manages to get some people furious! Right or wrong (some people know how I feel about the whole thing, and it is unimportant) the Avira management should really try to find out what is it really that makes some users reactions reach these paroxysms of rage, it's quite hilarious at times. I've never seen anything similar happening with other companies, therefore their marketing team ought to be overhauled.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  8. THESAWISFAMILY2005

THESAWISFAMILY2005 Registered Member

avira free is freezing while scanning

can anyone help me out?

9. guest

guest Guest

What scanning profile? I don't use Avira anymore so I can't check it myself, but I'm assuming that you select all archive file types. Am I right?

10. The Red Moon

My scans do not freeze and i have all archives and everything being scanned.
    Is it the real-time or on demand scanning which is freezing.

Excluding files on an on demand scan is pointless.
    What other security or scanners are running and have the right exclusions been put in place.?

There can be several reasons why a scan is freezing but instead of finding the problem people would sooner criticize the product.

Also depends what junk is on the computer.

Regards.

11. guest

guest Guest

I never had a freeze with Avira 2013, but I had it a few times with 2012. :doubt:

Scan all archives might need more resources and definitely take longer. Not 100% sure if it's the cause though.

As AMIGA500 said, perhaps your other security product(s) is/are the culprit. Other programs which run in the background might also the cause regardless it's/they're security products or not.

12. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hmmm..I am using Avira IS 2012 in one of my older pc's and have not experienced scan freezing. Way back when I was using the 2009 version I experienced a frequent freezing everytime I scan the whole partition which I found out was an infection that was fighting back. It would stop and go on as if forever and then it would give a pop-up , after answering to the pop-up it asks to scan the pc again (I think that's right --way too long since 2009). I seem to remember someone stating to disable some fo the realtime security apps while scanning with Avira if there are issues but I cannot remember where I got that..perhaps it was in the Avira forums..

Had issues with installation when the 2012 version was new(half-baked I'd say) and it made me shy away from the suite for about 6 months waiting for a new build. It was with 2012 version1.1.0.115 that the installation issue went away with me. I still love it's detection and I always check it's detection with Eset NOD32(other partition on the same pc). I do not know about the 2013 version as I am just waiting on the expiry of the existing license from which I'll go use the 2013 version. Have not been a lover of their firewall though. I like Avast IS better or Emsisoft IS Pack / KIS 2013 to name a few.

The Ask/apnstub issue is really nasty and up to now I do not understand why the hell do they stick with it. They know the users hate it but they still stick with it.

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Part of it is expectations.

Avira is/was held to a higher standard.

It used to be a very good AV, top detection rates. German brand, not selling customers' info to everyone. Uncomplicated, reliable. Classic type of AV.
    People used to have faith in the product and the company.

Then, they started adding the ASK stuff, partnering with Uniblue (registry cleaner ?? we know how great those are!), some other issues as well. It seems they shifted their focus from delivering a first class technical product to marketing.

I vaguely recall something about Avira having issues, not sure if that was about real financial problems or management problems. Some employees were not satisfied, that's for sure.

Regardless, whether they include the ASK stuff as 'active' or merely inactive installers, it's a bad thing. And I presume 'ASK' is included in the default install ? Not in the customers interest. (see history of IAC)

Not that long ago I restored an old image that had the Avira suite installed. It detected Avira's own ASK junk !

14. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

If you omit all of the poor marketing decisions avira (free) is still a top 3 AV Imo. Its running on my system light as a feather.and through personal testing amazing detection ratea.

15. The Red Moon

Same here.

16. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I have to agree, but the paid version lose to eset :argh:

17. THESAWISFAMILY2005

have comodo hitman pro avg 2013

18. THESAWISFAMILY2005

yes on windows 8 64 bit

19. THESAWISFAMILY2005

how do u set up your avira free personal

20. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

You cannot have more than 1 Antivirus. It will cause problems.

21. THESAWISFAMILY2005

i only have the comodo firewall not its av

now I go to delete avg and it said unistalled ignored

22. anon

anon Registered Member

23. anon

anon Registered Member

24. THESAWISFAMILY2005

:D thanks 7 that worked now let me check out the avira link ill get back to you and hopefully I can use my favorite free av

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The Avira SUITE is not exactly light on a Windows XP setup (with 'only' 512 MB RAM) There are suites that are lighter.

Personally, I'm not fond of standalone AVs. Especially since there are few dedicated, quality, easy to use third party firewalls.
    I'd rather have the firewall than the AV !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.