Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Agree with most of your comments, but I do realize that they have to make money somehow. So as long as they don't remove the safe search from google I will use it. If they are removing google and just keep ASK then yes this will become pretty much useless addon and all the effort they put in making this addon will be totally waste.

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

discounts are great if they would fix the boot up issue. i would be running it on a whole bunch of systems.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Under Web Protection/ Scan/Blocked requests /Web filter /Spam URLs are not checked off by default. Should I enable?

5. zfactor

personally i find things like safe search and similar from other companies useless. imo i can usually tell the difference between a ad junk site and a real one and if not then the web filter is there and if not the real time filter is there, and if not etc etc etc... almost every av has more than enough layers of protection for me not to have nor want a check mark or a thing giving me a green yellow or red light etc. personally i turn those things off and dont use them anyway.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Works here too. Thanks also to anon.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

April 17th, 2013
    New engine 8.3 [stable] released:
    New engine supposedly improves initialization, am I the only one who can't see any sensible improvements in terms of performance?.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  8. nikkho

nikkho Registered Member

Neither me. It even seems slower than old 8.2 throught.

9. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

that is normal because 8.3 still using the old non-optimized nvdf,8.3 engines need the xVDF to make it have top performance,both item cannot be seprate itself

Something I need to talk too
    The current optimize scan option in the scanner setting has been broken,
    it need to get repair,At the currency situation,the scanner will not have any significant performance boost on multi-core CPU either you turn it on or not

10. zfactor

i also dont see any real improvements either. i still have the boot up slowdown not sure if that was supposed to help that issue though or not.

11. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

The new engine which supports the features that bring the speedup was released ahead of the product update that actually enables and uses those features (XVDF etc.) - so you still have to wait until update 4 to see the effect.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification!

Re:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2348295&postcount=1454
    Any comments?

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks Stefan

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, although I can't really complain about my booting up time, however any improvement is welcome...

15. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

As you know,Baidu is using Avira's engine alongside his owns

I dont wanna talk about detection(which Avira is far better),but about performance,Baidu is surprisingly faster and more responsive than Avira.

Scanning, cleaning,file access,programs launching,every thing.

how is this chinese company using Avira engine better than the ownerso_O?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  16. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Then it means Baidu aren't using all of it in the first place, especially if the Avira engine update problem is still there.

17. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

they have had options for that(Avira on real time or just on manual scan)
    enabling Avira engine on realtime Prt. made the software heavier but still not as much as original Avira antivirus.

18. Stefan Kurtzhals

In our testing, during Engine/VDF updates there is no scan gap that malware could utilize. Only when there is a product update that contains new versions of 2 certain files, the file guard service is restarted.

19. anon

anon Registered Member

That means whatever it's written here:

http://www.cs.sjsu.edu/faculty/stamp/papers/topics/topic8/spe2197.pdf

re Avira & their testing, are all lies by intention?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  20. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

There is another difference too between Avira and Baidu.
    Baidu does not use all the signatures of Avira: it lacks completely of Adware and other pups' detections. You can notice that if you try to download some files from malc0de (which is full of this kind of files). The same files are detected by Avira as Adware, unwanted app. etc, but not by Baidu. Or better, you can open the Avira settings file in Baidu folder (don't remember exactly the file's name because I uninstalled Baidu) and you will see the lack of such programs. That's one of the reasons because Baidu has worse results than Avira in tests, along with his delay in updating signatures.

21. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification.

22. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

You're welcome. It's a pity that Baidu has limited signatures, because otherwise it would be on the same level of Avira in detection, plus it has hips protection...

23. Stefan Kurtzhals

24. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Stefan...Forgive me for sounding like the proverbial broken record...on this subject...is Avira currently looking into fixing the unacceptable situation in regards to Boot-up times and Delays. Is this a Windows or Avira problem? And is this problem in relation to the users version of Windows? I'm currently using Windows 7...is the issue also currently prevalent in Windows 8.1? Why I'm concerned is...I never encountered this problem when Avira had it's own Firewall...just when the new product line was introduced...and the supposed integration with Windows firewall. And regarding a different topic...is Avira utilizing some form of cacheing to cut back while running full systems scans. Because while running a full system scan it takes beyond 2 hrs...while other apps I use only take eighty minutes to forty five minutes to complete a full system scan. Wondering if you had any info in regards to my question. Sincerely...Securon

25. anon

anon Registered Member

I was already aware re the date and the tested versions (Avira Antivirus Free, Premium and Internet Security 2012 and 2013).

Your answer means that the vulnerability was present in previous (tested) versions 2012 & 2013 but solved in current 2014 version?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.