Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

wtf avira?!
    I am glad I ditched it to go for KAV. Once a company goes arrogant, it's done. There is only one way for them to go: down.
    let's all ditch this shameless av.

2. guest

guest Guest

Aw c'mon now. The installer are just there without doing anything. Your browser isn't even hijacked. :p

3. anon

anon Registered Member

That's the main point?

The under the hood ".exe" & ".dll" which are installed "just there" from a 3rd company, without your knowledge and your approval it's normal?
    Indeed, this is very nice way of thinking....

--------------------------
    Avira's Support wrote:
    Ok, the customer opted-out the toolbar, additionally, he deleted the 3 files manually
    Why and for what purpose those 3 files are re-installed again and again?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. guest

guest Guest

They're probably just being lazy and put Ask installer there, with or without you agreed to the initial installation. But hey, maybe they think you want to change your mind later. :D

Thank you~ :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  5. anon

anon Registered Member

They're probably just being lazy ....... so they are monitoring continuously to see if the user delete the files manually, in order to re-install them at once.

Very lazy indeed....

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I would imagine they notice the missing files and replace them during an update if you have the install product updates turned on. I don't have Avira installed right now to test this though.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Mistake.

Please re-read the post=
    It was not a product update....
    The 7.11.77.170 it was one from the many daily VDF updates......
    iVDF version 7.11.77.170 details
    VDF History

8. 0strodamus

Have you verified this yourself? I don't see anything in the Avira forum thread you referenced that states what the user's update settings are. I very much am in agreement that the Ask files shouldn't be included in Avira Premium at all.

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! I Agree that it your a paying customer for a companies Premium product...that having to remove a component that you hadn't asked for in the first place...in my books equates too Sleazy, underhanded, deceptive, business practices. And in this case...I removed the product...and Avira...has lost a customer...and most importantly my Loyalty and Revenue. Too bad so sad! Sincerely...Securon

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, I did:

http://i.imgur.com/mrrOGA1.png

The results was exactly the same (as described by the user in Avira's Forum).
    ------------------------
    I can't get the point re the "user's [VDF] update settings"

fyi. re the product updates :
    In latest Avira versions, the option to control the product updates [upgrades] omitted.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just to quote myself from the forums:

12. anon

anon Registered Member

Me too (the answer):

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Grab a chair and wait for them to answer :D

14. 0strodamus

I didn't know that. I switched from Avira 2012 to EAM. Thanks for the info. :)

15. anon

anon Registered Member

16. 0strodamus

That's crazy. What is going on with Avira? I was thinking about switching back, but now I don't know. Are they on a roadmap to dumb down the entire configuration options?

17. anon

anon Registered Member

Something else it's crazy......

fyi. When posted, the link was live, the thread was there, with 2 screenshots (v13.0.0.2890 & v13.0.0.2832) in it.

Now the link is dead, the thread disappeared from Avira's Forum.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    Edit:

You can find the 2 screenshots (v13.0.0.2890 & v13.0.0.2832) here =

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7366855&postcount=1

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723004

You can run, but you can't hide Avira...........

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  18. 0strodamus

I noticed that too, but just thought I needed to log into the forum to view the thread. I don't have my Avira forum login info handy right now. Did it violate their forum rules or do they censor out negative posts frequently? I don't spend too much time in their forum and in the past it was just to report issues or conflicts I was having. Of course, that was all before they started doing things that would merit any criticism, like bundling Ask into the paid version.

19. 0strodamus

Does anyone know if I installed Avira Premium 2012 and had product updates enabled, would Avira update to 2013 or just install 2012 product updates?

20. anon

anon Registered Member

@ 0strodamus,
    Reread my post #117 => Last edited by 7anon : Today at 05:37 PM.

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I was going to give avira free a whirl but upon reading this thread it would seem a bad idea.

Never seen an av product get ripped into pieces like avira.

22. 0strodamus

Switched back to Avira coupled with Spyshelter. Back to Avira Premium 2012 that is. ;) I wanted to try Spyshelter and there's too much overlap with EAM's HIPS. According to this 2012 will be supported until almost 2016. Hopefully someday Avira will remove the Ask toolbar, Marketplace, Android ad, and all the other crap they added to the 2013 version. Most likely, I'll switch back to EAM or something else before that happens. :D

And to answer my earlier question, performing a product update only installs 2012 updates and doesn't upgrade to 2013.

23. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

@7anon,i think i may have found a way to update avira without those 3 ask toolbar files but need your confirmation as i don't use it.because my internet connection is limited i never directly update my AV but instead always use some sort of standalone utility like kaspersky updater to download update/definition files into a local shared folder & then update from there.this way i don't have to worry about the first update after reinstall taking a loooong time not to mention saving bandwidth too.avira too has a similar utility called fusebundle generator which is intended for network administrators updating offline machines.since it is designed for offline updating logic dictates that it should not contain any toolbar files cause it is useless on a system with no net connection.i created an updated vdf archive file just to test & as i assumed it contains no ask toolbar dll's.further in the manual it is mentioned that updating from such created fusebundle archive is forced so doesn't matter what the avira settings are updating will force avira to accept this created vdf archive.

24. sbcc

sbcc Guest

It's been going on since 2011. Avira's decision to partner with Ask.com, owned by IAC, who also owns MindSpark, producers of some well-known grayware/adware products (probably being too nice in my description) like MyFunWebs, TelevisionFanatic and Smiley Central caused the flareup. See this link, but don't download anything: http://http://www.iac.com/brand/mindspark

That's the key for me. By helping Avira make money from Ask, through the toolbar install, am I also increasing hits/revenue for MindSpark? Not a far stretch to assume that advertised results for Mindspark crapware are featuring highly in Ask results when searching. Not going to take that risk. IMO, neither should Avira. I don't care if Avira is still effective in other areas. The relationship with Ask/IAC/Mindspark is lacking in ethics and flies in the face of providing effective security, even for a free product.

Many other good AV choices exist, free and paid. For all budgets, system specs and tech levels. All the clients and friends I converted from Avira to something else in the past two years have never complained once about losing Avira - and there were quite a few. I really liked and recommended Avira Free and Pro until this happened.

25. anon

anon Registered Member

There are abt 6-10 IVDF updates (each one abt 20-100 KBytes only) every day:
    VDF History

You can use the fusebundle generator once, but on daily basis?
    IMHO, it's time consuming and meaningless.

---------------------
    Documentation: HowTo - Avira Fusebundle Generator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.