Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Any recommended changes to out-of-box free settings?

Where is the config file with the new settings and schedules? Can I copy and paste to other PCs to save me doing everything again?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

what happened to avira antivir premium? discontinued? or evolved into avira free with same features?

3. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. anon

anon Registered Member

Free Antivirus – now without the Notifier ads and with even more functionality, like Secure Backup with 5 GB of online storage and Windows Firewall control.

Antivirus Suite formerly known as Premium Antivirus, this is the security suite that ensures a solid basic protection for a fair price.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2290204&postcount=925

5. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Mine got forced upgraded to version 14 about a week ago, This version is highly unstable with frequent tray icon error and occasionally the web protection module will get disabled suddenly without notice.

6. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

@Stefan Kurtzhals
    I have an avira Internet security key which i used on version 2013 (so it is valid)
    When I tried installing Avira 14.0.0.383(RC) Internet Security and Antivirus Suite, neither would accept the key

Now that Avira has released a new product line-up ready for prime time release (not rc version 14.0.0.411), which product should I download?

1) Avira Internet Security Suite
    or
    2)Avira Antivirus Suite

i am using Windows 8.1, and this is getting really irritating.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

is it possible to install av suite without the fw component, as an av sw only?
    i was considering avira for my new configurations but after i saw it had fw bundled with av, i turned away.
    and is the new free avira features-wise the equivalent of former antivir premium?

8. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, during installation, from the drop-down menu you can install only the modules that you want.
    ----------
    There is no separate firewall made by Avira,
    its only the Windows Firewall which you can manage through the Avira GUI:
    http://i1-win.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/AntiVir-Personal-Edition_17.png?1382013245

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That's why I'm in no hurry to force the issue.

10. imdb

imdb Registered Member

if that's the case, then what are those modules you can discard during installation? just the integrated gui through which you can control windows built-in fw?
    and if so, they should def'ly mention about it on their website, because it's kinda confusing and it makes you think that there's an integrated fw with the av sw.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no firewall in 2014 at all.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

when you look at this chart on their website, you can easily think it does have a fw. and naming their av sw "antivirus suite" also makes that perception even stronger.
    here:
    http://www.avira.com/en/personal

13. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That perception may need to change. Case in point, 360 Internet Security by Qihoo has no firewall. Yet they call it a suite. The beginning of a new trend?

14. zfactor

yeah a really stupid one...

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That chart is too lacking in information. Click on one of the products listed in that chart for a more detailed comparison.

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

it is, indeed. but when you look at that chart, you can hardly tell that there's much difference between the av "suite" and the internet suite.
    you know, traditionally those charts are supposed to show every single detail and difference between one and the other.
    but on this chart you see green dots in same departments for both the av suite and the internet suite. the only difference one can tell between these two by lookin at that chart is "increased pc performance" (whatever that's supposed to mean :rolleyes: )

17. guest

guest Guest

Just some disk space and registry destroyer cleaner. I have a strong desire to flip that thumbs up image in their website to a thumbs down.

But you don't have to take my word for it, Avira's antivirus technology is trusted by millions of users and consistently earns the praise of independent reviewing platforms. :rolleyes:

18. imdb

imdb Registered Member

:D .

19. zfactor

i was really hoping to hear from someone at avira about a way to update the software to be able to fix my keys to work with 2014?? stephan posted it on the avira forums and i have tried everything and not one of my avira machines will upgrade to 2014...

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i used to like avira a lot back when it was antivir premium. it was but a solid av with amazing detection/protection/removal rates. and what made it a top-notch av besides all that was also its gui's simplicity and plainness. even its advanced settings menu was the best out there in the market. good ol'days.

21. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Their free version may still be light in features, but since they removed the nag screen and added cloud features, I'll start recommending it again. Is it actually incompatible with Malwarebytes? If you try to install it it says MBAM is incompatible, but lets you install anyways.

22. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

You have to add MBAM to its Exceptions list:

Extras > Configuration > System Scanner > Scans > Exceptions

Browse to MBAM's folder > Add

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! I'll be keeping a close watch on Avira's new Management...and the leeway given Marketing...in their positioning...of Creative Features and Benefits. Why their engineering couldn't provide a Stable and Effective Firewall...is one issue. Add on's like the provided Registry Cleaner and System Enhancement Tool that purports to provide greater speeds...is to most of us completely useless...such tools can actually cause greater harm to the users system...as opposed to actually providing benefits. I'll be looking for greater effectiveness in Detection and Cleanup...those are the two most important benefits of any security app. I agree that the wording of Security Suite is misleading...it should just of been called Avira Premium Anti/Virus...Straight Forward...Clarity...no Smoke and Mirrors. Sincerely...Securon

24. anon

anon Registered Member

During installation, select "Custom" instead of "Normal".
    So, you will see the modules (components).

"Install Components" screenshot =
    http://www.howtoanswer.com/how-to-install-avira-antivirus--145.html

-----------------------

It was.....it's not any more......
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/summary-reports/

25. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

Avira free doesnt have the cloud features yet. :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.