Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The text marked in red seems fishy. Too good to be true ?

Am I the only one who thinks that way ?

So, Avira is the first AV company to offer a 'definitive' solution ? No future versions ?

I guess the new prices match that promise ...

A marketing gimmick ?

'just the protection and features they want and need' ?

Really ? People no longer want the 'Expert Mode', or the firewall ?

'Antivirus suite' is misleading because it is not a security suite.

The 'System Speedup' seems dangerous. Normally one shouldn't mess around with that. Did they get that from Uniblue ?

It seems to be all about the money, not the product.

Avira had some financial problems ? Does anyone know anything about that ?

I really used to like the product but things have gone in the wrong direction.
    Too bad.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wouldn't touch anybody's tune up program. The paid Av is sufficient.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okay so now im a bit more annoyed and ticked off to be honest. there is STILL A INTERNET SECURITY SUITE... as listed by avira directly... but yet (and so far no word from anyone that says any differently) we who owned lic's to avira internet security suite 2013 will be FORCED to take the ultimate plan which will kill or time per lic's faster?? WOW. why are we not to simply be migrated over to the new internet security? sure you add one new feature BUT YOU TOOK AWAY THE FIREWALLo_O so how is that not a trade off?

until i hear differently and know all 3 of my 3pc 3 YEAR lic's are exactly that and nothing else i will continue to make everyone aware of this debacle. if i hear differently and someone can 100% confirm this will be changed my tune will change quickly and i will be happy to admit i was wrong in thinking otherwise.

from what the avira posts said prior on their end it seemed like there would be no avira internet security which is why we were forced to the ultimate version but THERE WILL BE!! so what in the heck are they thinking by not simply moving everyone over to the COMPARABLE version not the ultimate one to which i dont even want any of the extra stuff it comes with, heck i dont even want the system speedup at all..!!!! it seems the RIGHT and FAIR thing to do here when you took away the firewall and give system speedupo_O?? as i said i dont even want this "system speedup" i just dont get the way they are handling this.

4. The Hammer

Absolutely you should be migrated over.

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

You are aware that there are no options missing? They just removed the "Export mode" switch and merged all the options together so they can be accessed at once.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Many websites are reporting version 14 is released, but yet my Avira says 13 is the latest version.

Anyone else getting the same thing??

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

mine is working like a charm on 3 computers. Go Avira :thumb:

8. anon

anon Registered Member

@ Stefan Kurtzhals,
    =
    What about Avira?

Windows 8.1, due for release next week........
    -------------
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2284257&postcount=802

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2284260&postcount=803

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  9. zfactor

how did you get your lic to work??

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

worked with Avira Antivirus Suite which is fine by me. It may have been the servers having a issue the day I tried.

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

From post #866:

'- The old "Expert" mode is gone. You don't have quite as much fine grained control as you used to over what the application does.'

True or not ? I haven't tested it.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

... but you asked before =
    # 449, June 24th, 2013, 11:37 PM
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2244923&postcount=449
    -----------------------------
    Anyway, the following info may answer your questions:

Where is the “Expert mode”?
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1494

For further information see:

We’ve heard you: Goodbye “Expert mode” !
    http://techblog.avira.com/2013/06/24/weve-heard-you-goodbye-expert-mode/en/
    PDF:
    Changelog

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It was about time :thumb:

14. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

That's good to know. I could swear there's less configurability now than before, but I haven't used Avira for years (because of the nag screens), so my memory was apparently faulty.

15. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

7anon, the latest info I got is that the currently released builds (AV13 update 21 and AV14 Update 0) are Windows 8.1 compatible and tested by our QA/CI. There are some things that need to be changed to get the official Microsoft Windows 8.1 logo certificate that will be adressed soon.

16. anon

anon Registered Member

As I was planning to upgrade from Win 8 to Win 8.1 next week, this unofficial confirmation is enough for me.

Thank you for the reply/info, I really appreciate it.

17. The Hammer

That's what I'm getting as well, but I'm sure I'll be switched over all in due time.

18. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira TechBlog:
    Advanced Real-Time protection with Avira Protection [semi] Cloud.......

19. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Cloud should not always take a scan(this can take a lot of system resource and bandwidth which make the system becam slower)
    All the upload decide was base on the Defination(Local Decider)
    I think avira can make a page which shows all the protection cloud upload or realtime stastic in detail(in control center) not just inside the log files.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  20. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I finally got updated to version 14, anything changed for you yet?

21. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Any chance the scan selection screen will be changed from its current convoluted state to something simpler, maybe with 3 options: quick, full, custom, like in the picture below?

Attached Files:

22. The Hammer

No not yet. Still at Product version 13.0.0.4052 29/08/2013

23. zfactor

so stephan any news yet?? will people who own lic keys for INTERNET SECURITY 2013 be able to use INTERNET SECURITY 2014 and not have to use ultimate? and will they be able to simply install 2014 instead of having to go through installing 2013 and upgrading without removal first? (i dont like to "upgrade" without a clean install first. please let us all know.

EDIT: guess not none of my lic's work at all with internet security and i refuse to use ultimate and shorten my time as was posted in avira's facebook page. not cool. see pic this is what it still says tried all three lic's i currently have activated (as files) and also my three unactivated codes all say the same thing. so none of my 6 lic's (3 for 3pc 1year and 3 for 3pc 3years) work with internet security now. totally bogus imo. i sent you a pm with the info you requested and have heard nothing back at all from anyone about this.

>>>>>>>>EDIT AGAIN: just saw this post on the avira forum is this correct?? and will in the future it just work without having me to keep 2013 around??

"Hello Sturie76,

I'm sorry about your bad support experience.

Please proceed as follows to upgrade to Avira Internet Security Suite (2014):

- Install Avira Internet Security with your existing license
    - You will receive an product update to 2014 but the features will keep the same as in Avira Internet Security
    - Upgrade license to Avira Internet Security Suite (2014) over installed Avira software, your existing Avira Internet Security license runtime will be converted and added
    - Download the new Avira Internet Security Suite (2014) and perform the installation
    - The upgrade will be performed and your new license accepted

We will improve the licensing with one of the next product updates so the product upgrade especially from Avira Internet Security will work directly.

Please note: The features are different between both products. "

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EDIT ONCE MORE: how do we "upgrade" to 2014?? i installed 2013 used one of my three lic's which are already activated and have checked for updates many times and just says its up to date? i would really like to know how to be able to get this done quicker since i need to update all three lic's ill have to do this procedure three times? if this works for my existing ones ill be happy (as long as it in not upgrading me to ultimate) and then what do i need to do with the non-activated lic keys i have? do i just wait till they can be activated on 2014 since i do not want to use them yet? i have a couple months left on all my old lic's still and want to use them before activating the new ones i have that have never been activated. please let me know asap

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  24. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

This i hate so much(as many Chinese vendor do that)
    is really non-professional and disappointed design

zfactor:
    the upgrade process is not ready yet although it told us the process

25. zfactor

why cant we install the 2014 over the 2013 one?? even if i do that it asks for the new lic and will not accept mineo_O some people say they have been upgraded already i have seen the screen shots there is a small pop up that says there is a update to the new version ill find one and post it here. they should not have messed this up like this. imo major debacle with this whole mess. when i try to install 2014 and already have 2013 installed it does not upgrade it it asks me for a lic again and when i select the one used i get the same message as i showed above.

added pic someone i know sent me this pic and they got the update?? stephan since trjam said his lic worked with the normal anti virus if i install that and use my lic will that convert it over to a 2014 lic and then i can use it with internet security?? trying to find a easier solution to this that does not make me wait to get the upgrade each time for each lic file. please let me know thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.