Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just had an extremely interesting call into Avira U.S.A. Custmr Support Call Centre. Asked the CSR...why the new product update won't accept my existing license key. Not a clear reply...but stated that I won't be able to update for a month! At this point not believing in what I heard...I was told that some problems have been encountered. No kidding! Totally unacceptable...a product being released that's Not Ready For Prime Time...especially coming out of Germany. And I've always appreciated the product...it's engineering...and effectiveness. But this is totally out of character. Especially it will be up and running in the next thirty days. I'm still in a mild state of disbelief...but will follow up tomorrow...to try and ascertain if indeed a more immediate solution is available. I do feel badly for the call centre agents fielding calls...try and be as polite and patient as possible with them...I've been in their position...and remember it's management's problem. Oh! I was told that an extra month would be added as compensation for this unfortunate set of events...those are my words...not their's. Sincerely...Securon

2. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira: Email Subscription Center =
    As a valued Avira customer we want to keep you informed about internet security. Please select the update(s) you wish to receive:

3. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    ------------------------------------
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!! :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Avira, you're so much better than to need such stuff. :(

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Securon, I informed several people about this problem, of course it is not acceptable. Sigh... Every time you think things get better, such things happen...

Normally, the key should be automatically converted.

6. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

Are we saying that a customer who bought, say, Avira Internet Security Plus 2013 - their top of the range product - last month, can't migrate to the 2014 edition, as they've changed the product lineup?

So, they are stuck with the 'old' 2013 edition for the next 11 months?

I did email Avira's press department, to confirm, but no reply!

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

No, existing customers with an ISEC licence are updated via product update to a version of AV14 that includes the old firewall. But that product line is discontinued, you cannot get it directly anymore from the homepage.
    The 3 new versions that "forked" from the old ISEC are different products, that is why the old key does not work anymore.

So if you have a valid licence and want to keep the version of ISEC with firewall, install AV13 and with the first update, it will update to AV14 ISEC with firewall.

8. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Stefan! Are you stating...to reinstall Avira I.S.2013...and after the first update...a pop-up will appear advising me that a new version is available?...and after this process the new version will recognize my existing license key within the 2013 app...and everything should be O.K.? If this is the case...I'll follow your advice and see what materializes! Sincerely...Securon

9. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

Great for resellers who are now 'stuck' with 2013 codes. I hope Avira chooses to help them by swapping them out for codes which work with the latest version!

10. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Seriously Stefan,What the H_ _L of avira thinking of that
    They follow to shipped out the Avira FireWall,OK Fine
    The only ways is accept this result,although I was unhappy about this decision
    but what they are let us thinking of that Now
    Just let us behind all the official update!?
    why not follow what they did in beta center,
    In beta center
    the ASEC 2013 is automatically upgrade to internet security suite 2014 then shipped out the firewall Also with the ASEC licences Work!
    Avira FireWall Replace by Avira Windows FireWall management component(Don"t think that update is work,Started from beta center,this upgrade process (which you talk about )just remove the avira firewall and make in non-function(although the AviraFW component is exist,it can't be use ever!
    After modified installation,replace by new windows firewall component)
    Now,they just whipped out our ASEC customer and need us to buy something new suite!??
    this is completely unacceptable and we can complain to our consumer department!
    If they want us to accept the result of replace AviraFW please consider do more presentation about their decision not just left-behind all the opinion or complain AND let us to use something which is old or cannot be reinstall directly from official site!
    Look at your competitor
    f-secure.what they did when they decide to ship out their original firewall,replace by advance windows firewall management API
    http://community.f-secure.com/fsecu...nality in F-Secure Internet Security 2013.pdf
    How easy and simple customer communication!
    You just lazy and not going to do such thing to increase your company good image
    We are just customer,but we don't have any responsibility to guess why you make this decision!
    We just want to enjoy the upgrade for what we pay for(means we can uninstall reinstall and upgrade products version directly from official site!)
    How can we trust your company to buy more or continue to refund your products if our license cannot get what we want(although we do not expired our license)
    I mention one thing no antivirus company will do like that!
    Avira you are the first one I ever seen in the antivirus industries!
    You just let our ASEC users angry completely!
    Face the turth Avira,Let customer angry just increasing you get lost in the industries!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

seriously please tell me this is not true so please stephan correct me please if i am wrong here...

i have 3 3pc each for 3YEAR lic's for internet security that have NEVER BEEN ACTIVATED YET!!!!! i went to try to use ONE ONLY (i do not want to use all three right now and i was clearly told by avira customer support when buying these they would be good till 2020 before they expire if i did not activate them, they specifically said yes i can buy three and only use one then when ever i was ready i could activate the others up till 2020. and YES i still have the emails from them stating this) that was bought directly through aviras billing (forget who the payment went to directly but i will find the emails i think cleverbridge) and it said i cant use ito_O? so i have 3 lic's good for 3pc EACH total of 9pc's and each lic covers 3 YEARS and none even activated yet. now what do i do. i paid a lot of money for these and now im seriously annoyed

so i literally wasted hundreds of dollars for these? and no i am not paying any additional money to upgrade add to or change my lic's at all. if this is how it will be i will never use or recc it again. i will also go on every site i know of and tell them the same thing.

again please do correct me if i am wrong here but this is what it sounds like from your postso_O as i do not wish to use them all right nowo_O and was clearly told i had till 2020 to activate these

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  12. Stefan Kurtzhals

zfactor, I will ask Customer Care. I am sure that we can resolve this without a problem, so no panic. :)

13. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I used to use the free version a few years ago. Could an experienced user please point out what's different to then?

As I understand it there is now no pop-up ad?
    Can you set the frequency of updates?
    Any webguard?
    Anything else that I need to know about?

Thanks,
    Ian

14. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Seems like those using version 2013 got forced upgrade to version 2014. This ~phrase removed is unstable that the moment I log in, avira IS crashed instantly.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  15. zfactor

lease let me know asap. thank you for responding!!

16. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

- Popup "nag screen" is gone.
    - Updates default to every 6 hours. (Maybe it's 4 hours - I'm going from memory here.) You can change that but I haven't tried, so I don't know how frequent you can make it.
    - "Web Protection" is enabled if you install the toolbar. (The toolbar is optional during the install process.) It "scans" URLs (I don't know if that means it compares URLs to a blacklist or scans web traffic in-flight). It ignores URLs that are not sources of malware (things like audio streams).
    - Updates seem small and very fast (when I boot my PC, I see an update notification "toast" before the system has completely finished starting up).
    - The firewall control now uses the Windows firewall (on Windows 7).
    - The old "Expert" mode is gone. You don't have quite as much fine grained control as you used to over what the application does.
    - You can schedule how frequently scans run (i.e., how many hours between scans - default is 7 days), but you can't schedule when they run (i.e., you can't say "every Sunday at 9 AM").
    - The free version has been completely stable for me.

I think if you run as a "standard" user (non-administrator, limited rights), use something like Symantec's DNS servers for an additional layer of malware filtering, and don't go probing too deeply into the web's darker corners, Avira 2014 free looks like a very good alternative. They finally got rid of the nag screen - maybe now they'll get rid of the toolbar while keeping the "web protection" feature.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

1) Default setting: every 6 hrs.

2) =

18. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Stefan please told us which one we can trust asap for our AISEC
    From Facebook:
    The AISEC2013 is the latest and now we do not provide an 2014 upgrade
    (currently, the internet security is not switched to version 2014. The version 2013 is up to date and can be downloaded here: http://www.avira.com/......)
    From Beta Center:
    Currency We are plaining for switching our AISEC users (merge process) to ultimate protection but with less runtime and more protection compare with old aisec

Which one could trust

At least got some news for
    The new mnagement is go into the company can we wait for more than 6 to 12 months?

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

As Mulder would say...Trust No One... :D

20. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Can anyone post screenies of Avira's firewall settings? Does Avira issue pop ups for outgoing traffic?

21. zfactor

heck no i paid for 3 YEARS thats total BS.... i did not ask for ultimate protection and i DONT WANT IT PERIOD. I WANT MY FULL LIC PERIOD I PAID FOR. you , avira, are seriously not going about this right and will tick a lot of people off who will never return... if i dont get to use my full 3 year lic's and I DONT WANT THE ULTIMATE PACKAGE AT ALL i know for sure i will never come back and ill also attempt to call both my credit card company as well as hand this over to my lawyer who we keep on retainer because it will not cost me any more than i already pay. i hope stephan can figure something out because this is NOT RIGHT!!!! i have many customers using avira paid and i will for sure tell them what is happening and they will (trust me) take my advice to switch without renewals. not cool (can you tell im mad) until i know otherwise this is the statement avira is making directly so ill wait and see if anything changes but im doubting it, first they remove features on us now i find out i will not even have my lic's to use unless i want to take a (probably) huge cut in time that i paid for (3 years for a total of 9 pc's), stephan know im not blaming you i know this was not your doing.

i do hope you can attempt to get through to someone because you will have a TON of really mad people...

22. zfactor

there are none from what i saw. it simply says you are being protected by windows firewall.

23. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

I am surprised how such a big company like avira can do this to their loyal customers. When you make a promise few years back its your responsibility to stick to your words. I hope avira will settle your issue.

24. anon

anon Registered Member

25. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Avira had a change of CEOs this year. New CEO=changes to AV feature set + past agreements being modified/rescinded, possibly?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.