Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. spywar

spywar Registered Member

oh no.... :mad: I was hoping to see this feature for free users, but looks like I'll have to forget my hopes..

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's funny how they don't use the very common logic avast! seems to understand. Sure free users would "hog" the cloud system, but then again, being free, they come in wast numbers and clouds only work if you have loads and loads of users connected to them. What good is cloud if only 1 million paid users are in it where avast! for example has 130 million users in their cloud. Sure avast!'s needs more capable infrastructure, but it also gets far more unknown files, file reputation is better scaled etc... there are a lot of benefits if you give features like this to the free users as well...

3. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

No worries, there are discussions already ongoing here at Avira how and when to integrate the APC in the Free. It is definitely a goal here.

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Thanks Stefan! I am still somewhere in the corner of my heart a Avira Lover,I will try avira free once you get your protection cloud to free version.All free security softwares (most of them) rock! :)

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Re-installed Avira free yesterday night because i really like it and is one of my favorites.But,this morning i run a scan with Hitman Pro and and it detected that hidden exe in Documents and it's obviously Avira's ...It's the first time when i see this detection and even it could be a FP (Ask,Unwanted,Adware,s.o),why the heck that exe is hidden? o_O

Attached Files:

6. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

the files APNSetup.exe is the toolbar online installer
    it will be extract to your document folder only when you have run the toolbar installer and accept to install

7. Circe

Circe Registered Member

Nice to hear that, I hope it happens.

8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I know that and i didn't installed the toolbar.My question was why it is hidden and why in Documents and not in Avira's folder for example?

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Great :thumb: we'll wait.

10. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Experienced major system unresponsiveness with build 13.0.0.4045 of Avira IS, Have to revert back to older build by clean install.

11. guest

guest Guest

That's actually a good point. I don't know much about the cloud features of antiviruses. But if they do use the same way of the cloud feature, then Avira's cloud sounds inferior.

Then again, I wouldn't trust my safety based on the users' popular decision/detection. No way. :p

12. Stefan Kurtzhals

The approach of Avira for the cloud is different, you cannot compare it (at least at the moment) not against AV clouds that use reputations. That was not our goal for the first step.

13. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello,
    Personally,
    I hope Avira go on to propose a set of simple products, efficient, and without unnecessary gadget, highly configurable and low impact on the system.
    Maybe, a day, an option to import/export settings?

Anyway, the security an OS with closed code is a utopia....;)

Edit: I totally agree with you, Chuck Norris is the best Malware/Virus Hunter of the world^^

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  14. ELWIS1

ELWIS1 Registered Member

@Stephan

So, how is approach Avira in Cloud?

15. guest

guest Guest

=
    http://www.avira.com/en/avira-protection-cloud

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mimicking 7anon's posting style. Hopefully he doesn't know it. :shifty:

16. m0unds

m0unds Guest

how is this approach any different than the way other vendors use cloud-based fingerprinting to convict files...? unless there's other functionality that isn't discussed on that promotional page

17. guest

guest Guest

It's at least different than Avast!'s cloud detection. According to RejZoR's description Avast! uses a reputation based cloud service. Stefan Kurtzhals then pointed out that Avira's cloud works differently than Avast!'s, which in the context of the discussion about how does Avira's internal database based cloud effectiveness compared to Avast!'s reputation based cloud.

18. Stefan Kurtzhals

The hash check is only used to avoid duplicate uploads or uploads of known files. The Avira cloud does upload the file and uses various detection modules in the cloud backend.

19. spywar

spywar Registered Member

So what's going on right know at the backend ? Are you getting many files from paid users ? Is the infrastructure already ready for the free users ?

20. avman1995

7anon,I sent you a PM,I hope you will surely reply :D

21. anon

anon Registered Member

Done!
    Check your inbox.

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

gotcha. i guess i missed the avast context.

23. avman1995

I noted installing web protection is pointless as it isnt a URL blocker just blocks downloads that the AV engine see as malicious.I dont have any problems with that though but I expected a URL blocker rather than something that only blocks downloads that the av engine see;s as bad :rolleyes:

Thanks god! I tested that in a VM,I am just gonna install avira free without toolbar and not bother about web protection addon because its a waste if it only protects against what AV engine see's as bad.The addon seems to be slowing my download speed anyways

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  24. anon

anon Registered Member

Mistake.

25. avman1995

No that is for paid versions,in free version its just a mere "webshield" NOT a URL Blocker.I havent seen a single block without the threat name,every block by the addon has threat name in it meaning the block happened because AV detection.

The Webguard in the paid versions of Avira offers more than just signature/heuristic detection - it also has a quite large database of malicious website adresses which can be blocked, a feature that is no longer part of the free version's Webguard.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.