Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

2. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

7anon, you obviously have a great deal of knowledge and experience with Avira. I'm wondering, have you ever run the Internet Security package? If so, what do you think of the firewall? I've heard/read that it isn't as good as some others. Just curious, and wanted to get an informed opinion.

And of course, anyone else who has knowledge and experience with the product, please feel free to jump in... :D

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. anon

anon Registered Member

From Avira Support Forum:

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That thread is nearly 3 years old.

6. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

ZoneAlarm didn't play well with Avira on my set up. Or maybe ZA doesn't work well in the first place. I experienced slowdowns in general computer usage and a lot of slowdowns with browsing.
    Also I couldn't add Avira to a whilelist in ZA.
    Too bad because I really liked their simplicity.

8. The Red Moon

Thanks.
    Missed the date on the last post.

I use the free av and i dont have any issues with it what so ever.
    I used the web installer and custom install and no toolbar was installed.

Sure the ask toolbar installer is in the avira folder but it is sitting there harmless.

I have only witnessed 1 advertisement and there are NO pop ups after an update.
    In fact avira is one of the lightest and trouble free av,s i have ever installed and at this point i see no reason to not use it.

The worst av i have installed was avast and there were bluescreens every boot time.

Thanks.

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Use Privatefirewall instead,i'm using Avira with PVTFW for many months now and they are a very happy couple.:D

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Exemptions on both programs are always possible.
    I was running Avira Premium/Free & ZA without conflicts.

11. The Red Moon

Comodo firewall 5.12 runs sweetly with avira.
    Just my observation FWIW.

12. mattdocs12345

Testing TinyWall with Avira Premium. I could never really warm up to Comodo products.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  13. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

I had tried Avira with PVTFW a short time ago and I had huge numbers under I/O Read-Write-Other Bytes in task manager (WinXP SP3), like in the nine billion range or so. However, it did feel light on my sytem, but somewhere I read that those numbers being so high meant the HDD was working much harder or something to that effect. I had a screenshot but I guess I deleted it. Just wondering if your numbers are high and if it means anything. I switched to Avast, which has much lower numbers, but it feels heavier on my system. o_O Should I just not pay attention to task manager info and go by 'feel'?

14. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Just made a screenshot and it seems ok to me.You know that every system is different and you should run only what you think it suites you best.:thumb:

Attached Files:

15. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

Hmm, that looks totally different than the WINXP task manager. But I think I'll forget numbers and just install it because it did make browsing and other tasks go quicker than Avast, at least on my system. Or, it could be that some of the webshield settings should be changed. But both are excellent AV's. And PVTFW is as good as it gets, IMO.

16. anon

anon Registered Member

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

18. anon

anon Registered Member

Just look who introduced the ask toolbars :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: in Avira's paid products..........

19. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I hate avira...tried it earlier,the UI kept crashing and more ever the ads and toolbar is pathetic not to mention avira has fell way behind the competition in later years after v9 :rolleyes:

20. mattdocs12345

No crashes here. Try installing Avira on fresh image. But if you don't like the UI then by all means change the AV.

21. The Red Moon

Rubbish.

Ive only seen 2 ads since its been installed plus there are no crashes.
    If you want an av that is causing crashes then try avast.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think in principle you might have more than one point (it would be nice to see what your “other” principles are after all). To hammer ad nauseam what Avira is not ethically entitled to do with their own software is becoming trivial and pedantic at best.

If you think your voice will be heard by many in this forum, rest assured you will probably gather some followers, how many? 20-30, probably less who are prepared to post in your favor, Avira has millions of users who couldn’t care less about or who are not even aware there is an issue about a tool bar.

What Avira is doing may be up for criticism but it’s not evil per se, they have a bottom line, and the financial crisis in Europe is devastating for most businesses. I still disagree with you about Avira forcing a tool bar for paid products, it might be an option, but it is certainly not automatically installed.

23. mattdocs12345

I have Avira Premium AV, not toolbar ever offered or installed in here.

24. anon

anon Registered Member

And your problem point is?

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I thought the guy was in charge of marketing or something like that ?
    The press release says something slightly different.

~Off topic comments removed~

Avira should have focused on its strength. Which is/was, building a top quality AV.

Uniblue, Ask and all that stuff ... Most likely, in the long run they will hurt themselves with that approach. Such a shame.

The irony, when I restored an old image some time ago Avira detected its own ASK stuff as malware !

I might use a free or promotional version in certain situations, but I certainly wouldn't pay a penny !

Perhaps naively, I believed that my personal data were safe with this company. The company being German, German privacy laws (do I need to say "safe harbour" ?), ethics. Would they sell/share the customers data to/with other companies these days, like McAfee and Symantec ?

And metadata are not that anonymous, I believe there is a post or thread about that somewhere on this forum.

For me, no more Avira.

I just don't get it. Did Avira not raise enough money for the Auerbach Foundation ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.