Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it is normal!

all av's have files they cant scan because they are in use or windows system files that cant be accessed. read posts about locked files in nod32,kaspersky and other av forums and you will see same thing...

lodore

2. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Ditto

+ In my case the schedular service also failed to start on startup (from the following day).

Shame, it ran really light on my system.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm using Avira Premium Security Suite. Before that, I used AntiVir PE Premium. I understand kr4ey's concern about AntiVir/Avira not scanning all files. When I first started using AntiVir and now Avira, the full system scan always starts at the 62% completion mark. The total file count is well below what other AVs scanned on this computer. I was told that I shouldn't worry about the scan starting at the 62% completion mark. That this was normal. I still have my doubts about that, since the files scanned count seems so low, but if the experts say this is normal, then I guess I should believe them.

4. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

"Avira doesn't scan all files?" <---this is how rumors start!

As mentioned by 1 or 2 other posters...AV's cannot scan files belonging to applications that are in use or "locked" system files. Try scanning with antivir in safe mode and you will see more files being scanned.

As for the other problems mentioned with the guard...I've been using the free version for 2 yrs now and have never had a problem. It has worked well on my system and behaves well with the 15 other security apps that I have installed. That is not to say that it will work well on yours. It all depends on your system and security setup. But for most it will work fine.

Just thought it would be good to stress this again as it needs to be fully understood.

Best Regards,
    Toby

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There setings that can be changed to scan all files I think.

6. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Yes it can....I think Avira should change the default settings to scan all files instead of scanning smart extensions...this will at least end some of the confusion.

Best Regards,
    Toby

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The default setting is for smart extensions only unless you change it. There are several programs that predefine default settings for a program which may not be the user preference. Guess that means you have to read everything for each program.

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If you mean system reboot, that is not necessary. Just open the Windows Task Manager, end avgnt.exe and avguard.exe processes, double click these processes in C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (or Premium) folder and deactivate/activate AntiVir Guard behind the AntiVir icon in the system tray, that's it.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Smart extensions is the default, because it offers the best balance between performance and paranoid security. Smart extension means, all files in the extension list will be scanned, plus all files that are recognized as having a specific file type by looking at the contents of the file itself. As an example it will scan every file with an exe extension, and every file that (no matter what extension it has) which contains the MZ Exe magic. The same goes for many other file formats. Some other AVs simply do that in silence without any option for the user.

I think the task icon problem has been fixed in the Internet Security package, but not in the premium/free versions, because these need to be QAed separately. I'm not sure whether they'll do a hotfix (our of order update) for a non critical bug, or will wait for the next scheduled update.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I must say, however, that is about as much trouble as rebooting. Probably is some faster.
    I do plan to try Avira again, as I liked it except for the couple of annoying problems.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

I set to all files
    I also set Heuristic to High
    Is it OK ?

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup thats fine.

i just made the options for what it done with files automatic with first option repair second option quarantine on my sisters laptop and will use same options on my desktop pc soon.

lodore

13. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Avira v7 has been out less than a year...I think we should give them a little more time to fully perfect this program...in one of my other threads, I pointed out a problem that I am experiencing with Avira but I hope that it will eventually be fixed...anyhow I will continue to use this great free AV.

Regards,
    Toby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.