Avira webguard causes drastic slowdown streaming radio stations using Winamp

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by InfinityAz, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I've been running a trial version of Avira Antivir Premium with all guards enabled. While I see a slight slowdown with webguard, it's not drastic and I think worth using. However, when I use Winamp to stream AOL radio stations, there is a drastic slowdown (so much so that the audio stutters to where you can't really listen to it). If I disable webguard, the audio is just fine.

This never happened when using NOD32 but is with the Avira webguard. Short of disabling webguard, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might fix this?

Thanks for any help.

Forgot, to mention that the default "Video files and streams" and "Audio files and streams" are checked/selected as MIME types to skip by WebGuard in the exceptions area for WebGuard configuration (i.e., this is the default and I left it as is).

2. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

I've had that problem with several AV's. Don't know if it AV related or Winamp but have found slowdowns, stuttering or downright stoppage with Avira, KIS, BitDefender. Am now using NIS 2009 and have no problem with AOL Radio on Winamp.

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

You will have to go to the webguard panel and read the urls that the guard picks up and go to the configuration panel to add them to the exceptions list.

4. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Sportscubs1272,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried using the urls, mime types, file types, IP addresses, etc. but nothing seemed to work. What's weird is if you use the CBS/AOL radio website, it plays fine in your browser but will not play properly through WinAmp.

So, I'll just use the browser version and dump Winamp.

5. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I read somewhere that winamp has a bunch of security risks and I dumped it because of this.

You might want to try pandora.com to listen to music.
    I use this all the time and it is totally free and no spam.
    You will have to login but you can set any type of music you want and you can train it to remember which ones you like.
    there is nothing to download also.

robin

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i used to use winamp but i just found it much too buggy.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

I listen to streaming radio daily and I have a much slower connection here, never had any issues with Avira slowing the streams down. They play quite smoothly.

8. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Listening to streams too, without any issues. If you look in your Webguard settings, make sure you have the Checkbox for "Audio Files and Streams" enabled to be ignored.
    Depending on the type of streams you are listening to, you might want to add additional MIME types to be ignored by Webguard, which should prove less maintenance intensive than adding each URL directly.

Still, I'm pretty sure your streams should be working well by default. I'm not having the fastest connection (mediocre broadband with 3000KBit), and have no stuttering at all unless the stream server itself is a complete sucker.

9. gery

gery Registered Member

Avast AVG and Trend Micro also had problems with Winamp so i ditched it from my machine. Never had any problems with windows MP or anything else like i did with Winamp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.