Avira webguard blocking my internet

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Subgud, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Hi!

I am trying out avira 9. I have tried both premium and internet security. I have a problem with both. I cant update them and I cant acess the internet when the webguard is enabled. When I turn off webguard they update ok and I can acess the internet.

Anyone had the same problem? I have the latest version downloadet from avira.com and the latest virus def. All values insides avira is default values.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Just checked on my Laptop everything is working fine! Never had that issue before but everyone's computer is different. Might be worth reporting to Avira support if you cant come across the solution.

3. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I have the suite (Current Version) on my work computer & it works without issue.

4. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I have tried avira before severeal times. (i like to svitch) But this is the first time I have had this type of trouble. Anyway. Just would check if anyone here had the same problem.

Thanks!

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Depending on how many other products you have tried on that Windows Installation, it could be conflicting with leftovers of another program. Might be worth looking at at the very minimum see if something is running in the background from a previous install.

6. dews

dews Registered Member

for me it is not blocking but slowing down.
    and even avira antivirus has started to slow down , i hope next version will be light for win7.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I have it running in Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on a slow AMD x64 and 2gigs of ram Laptop. No slow down there You might have a conflict on your computer also.

Might be worth looking into.

8. dews

dews Registered Member

thanks, and yeah i've checked but everything is ok.
    But same things happend when i enable avira premium then my Laptop start to working much and it makes noice , but when i disable it is all quite ,

I will re-install avira (maybe) it help's, well see.

9. SAW

SAW Registered Member

There have been problems with Avira and dns , something to do with IPV6 lookup in the software, you can google it might have something to do with that.

10. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I run hijackthis and found out that

" C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\avp.exe "

is running. But I cant locate it. I have unchecked the box for hidden files and operativ system files in windows, but I still cant locate the file.

I have run kaspersky removal tool as well. Any idea??

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Is that " C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\avp.exe " still there after you ran the Kaspersky removal tool ?

Did you set all files to be visible ?
    I have a non-English Windows XP, but I'll attempt to translate.
    Uncheck hidden system files, show contents of system folders, show hidden files and folders. Three different things. Can you see it now ?

I'm not sure if a crude removal of that file or registry entries is wise, and there may be more remains. You can try. Also please check if there are any Kaspersky processes running (task manager), such processes might block the removal of Kaspersky related files.

Have you ran any other AVs on that computer ?
    You've tried both Avira premium AND the suite ? Uninstalled, installed ?
    Installing and uninstalling security software can make a mess of your computer. Not just an issue of leftovers of AVs, the OS can become corrupted.

You could try uninstallers for all other security software that you have ran on that computer, and the Revo uninstaller.

There may be more issues. Your Hijackthis log might reveal more information, but you can't post it here by TOS. However, you can do it at a website like www.bleepingcomputer.com and they may be able to help you.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If it has removed it you might want to try something like CCleaner. They have a registry cleaner in there and can also remove all the temp files, may be something worth looking at especially if you have install and uninstalled alot of Programs. :cool:

13. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

FLY: Yes I unchecked every box the first time. I booted into safe mode an ran hijackthis in safe mode. Then I asked hijackthis to delete the kaspersky file since I couldnt find it manually. It was removed.

When looking at the hijackthis og I cant see any other file from that should interfer in any way with avira. I use revo uninstaller everytime I uninstall things. A handy tool! :D

But I still cant get my internet up running with avira webguard on. So I uninstalled avira and tried some other AV.

Thanks for your replies!

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sigh that's not good to hear, Wish you could of got it running. You might want to try that CCleaner it does wonders if there is conflits just so you know. :)

15. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Thanks!:thumb:

I will give ccleaner a try. I probably install avira at a later time.

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Aye the cleaner may help with other problems that you don't know about never know. When you reinstall Avira, if it still gives you the same problems Let us know maybe we can troubleshoot it somemore.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's good that you got rid of that.

You know, it's possible to use Avira without the webguard. I only use it when I visit new and untrusted sites.

That you can't use the webguard suggests that your system is at least a bit corrupted. But that's not unusual when you install and uninstall many security programs. That's why I use imaging software and hardware ;) , I usually install security software on a clean image that doesn't have any security software installed on it.

Good luck.

18. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Hi again!

I reinstalled avira premium security again. (I am stubborn) :D
    I had the same problem as described earlier in this post. So I thought about asking for more help. But before I wrote her I downloaded jv 16 powertools 2009 and ran a registryscan in safe mode. Voila, after deleting som registry entries, avira update as normal and my internet is running like a charm!

Thanks for your replies!

Cheers :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

19. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I`m back! :D

I think I understand was has been the problem. It is not that there are some leftovers in the registry!!

I use norton online family to keep control of my kids computer accounts. It will keep record over which websites they visit and block them from using the internet when they have reach theire daily time limit.

When I has NOF(norton online family) installed and avira installed there is some kind of a conflict between them. The webguard of avira and the guard of NOF seems to use the same path or same way to guard the internet.

When deactivating avira webguard everything works, but when activated internet is not working. After uninstalling NOF, avira works as normal. This is sad! Because I really like avira premium security and NOF.

NOF is really great!! And so is APS. Any idea what to do? I understand that I might have to choose between them. And I dont like that. I have used kaspersky, nod32, spywaredoctor 2010, NIS2010 alongside norton online family without any trouble.

Well well. If anyone have a suggestion, throw it out please!

20. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I tried searching for solutions for you Thur Norton's database and Thur Google, unfortunately I came up with Zip or even other people having this issue. I would post about this on the Avira forms they may have a work around, same on the Norton forms. Your best help now might just be from a Dev or a Support member. Hope you get it solved and are able to use both if not then you are pretty much down to choosing between them.

21. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Hi!

I posted a thread in norton forum and the avira forum. And one of the developer from norton posted a thread in the avira forum to get in touch with the avira developer team so they could solve this conflict.

They probably find a way around this. And that is good! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.