AVIRA VS. NOD32, should NOD32 be improved?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by LenovoT61B, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lusitano

Lusitano Registered Member

When the AV-Comparatives.org test was released I thought: well, let's try Avira because NOD32 has a slow response time to new threats. I've installed Avira but I had to uninstall it after some hours. It greatly reduced my Internet, and I couldn't stand it. Installed NOD32 again and everything is working fine. NOD32 3.x uses little system resources, doesn't slowdown my Internet connect, no errors or BSOD's caused by NOD32 (unlike Kaspersky). I will stick with NOD32.

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

No, it isn't true, because e.g. free version doesn't catch spyware/adware/riskware applications!

3. musikit

musikit Registered Member

4. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

No AV is 100%. It's software, not the human brain. :)

Read this post, please.

5. LenovoT61B

LenovoT61B Registered Member

The way Norton is looking, I think I might be sorry that I did not go with them. NOD32 is tremendously weak at malware/spyware compared to other AV'S. Heck, I might as well get the free AVIRA and free Comodo Firewall and MalwareBytes and I will get much more protection then NOD32 provides.

If ESET does not make revisions to improve there software, then they are not going to have a good future.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET has continually been improving the products as well as the proactive (advanced heuristics, generic signatures) and reactive (signatures) detection in reaction to the massive increase of threats that are created, mostly for commercial purposes nowadays, and we will carry on making further improvements.
    Thinking that installing X antivirus/antispyware/antikeyloggers/anti-XY software and firewalls will make you more protected is not the solution in my humble opinion. Besides a huge resource consumption, you would account for serious troubles caused by interferences between various security applications.

7. LenovoT61B

You are wrong. Having Avira Free + ComodoFirewall + ON DEMAND SAS and MalwareBytes is practically the same amount of usage that NOD uses PLUS it will kill NOD32 in any tests. Comodo has the best firewall, Avira right now has the best AV, and SAS and MalwareBytes right now are the best antispyware malware. THE BEST OF ALL, IS THAT ALL THIS SOFTWARE IS TOTALLY FREE. Who do you think the consumers are going to go to.

Do me a favor, contact you team and WORK faster on improving your product. I can tell you this much. I know at least 10 people on one forum that did not choose NOD32 because of the interface, detection rates and much more. I can guarantee you that if NOD32 stays where it is at for the next year, people will consider it a thing of the past. I already hear some people say that it is the AV of the past.

Your team is getting payed, there is no reason why it cannot be improved more quickly.

8. Marcos

Well, this sounds like kidding to me. I can see the situation in the company, the number of developers/virus analysts has multiplicated in the last 1-2 years, we've moved to a much bigger building, we've developed a new smart technique for heuristic detection, we've been working on new producst and improvements in the current products, many of our people work 10-14 hours a day. Your words sound to me like kidding in this context, sorry.

9. LenovoT61B

I am not insulting NOD32, I love it. But right now it's not looking good. It's not like it's been 1 AV test, its been SEVERAL.

I mean, how hard is it to make a better GUI. I can make one better then NOD's any day. Take example of NORTONS 2009 version, it is just a light or lighter then/as NOD32 but much more better looking and SIMPLE. YOU have to understand that 99.9% of consumers are not techies and need the simplicity. Yes, it has gotten a lot better but as soon as you go into advanced options you get confused. The POPUPS are complete disasters, it looks like a child coded them.

I just want the best for NOD and it's antivirus software and if your company can work on some improvements such as for spyware, malware, GUI for popups then you will see much more people looking into this software.

Would you pay $20,000 more for a car that has a better brand name then a car that is $10,000 which is the exact same thing but a bit better at this point in time? No, you wouldn't. This is what the consumers are thinking.

If you can, I would like you to share my thoughts with your teams and take the best of it. Look at Norton did to improve and use there ideas. PULSE updates are the generation of updates, use there ideas! Innovation is success.

I've see that you said you've been working on improvements. WHERE ARE THEY? It's been forever since a software update and NOD32 is falling behind the pack.

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

That's exactly what people do daily and what advertising is about...

11. LenovoT61B

You get my point.

12. Marcos

One may say: "Unless you make the GUI skinnable, I won't purchase it." But is it really the most important criteria of security software to have the GUI with all bells and whistles? I think the current GUI is decent and acceptable by most users. I for one think that the most important things are: detection & cleaning, resource consumption, automatized smart cleaning so that the user is not bothered with prompt windows. In all these regards we've made or are making improvements and will certainly continue doing so. We already have much better detection of many malware families than any other famous AV; we see it on the thousands of unique malware variants that we receive via ThreatSense.Net on a daily basis.

13. LenovoT61B

Pardon me if I did not type clearly. The MAIN GUI is very nice looking. When you click F5 and go into advanced options there should be an advanced options that is simple for less techie users. The popups that come up for updates ext should be the same green look as the main UI and it should not be a balloon, it should be a rectangle box that touches the black sidebar like Norton, CA, Avira and almost all AV's use.

You say you are improving on the malware/spyware/antivirus part of the application so only time will tell. The next test will tell me if this is true or not.
    Please foward my message about the GUI and the Popups to your staff and see if they can work on them.

If you want to this a step foward these are what you need to change in your software. First off, improve detection rates. If your AV scores very high in the next few tests then your software will get it's name again from previous years. Improve the GUI like changing the POPUPS to something similar to Nortons or CA's, make the advanced setup more user friendly. I bet you if you do these 4 simple things then you will have a lot more purchases of your product.

14. doktornotor

And I say they should be a rainbow-colored duodecagon. And now, how about moving on to something useful that matters?

15. LenovoT61B

It does matter because people want there payed products professional looking and that popup for updates certainly does not show that.

Once again, everything matters and everything is a step foward.

16. LenovoT61B

17. doktornotor

The Symantec one looks like some action game menu, I totally hate it. :thumbd:

18. LenovoT61B

Well, quite honestly everyone loves it so your the odd one out.

19. doktornotor

I guess we won't get any proof whatsoever that everyone loves it, shall we? Oh, and everyone loves the NOD32 popup, so you are the odd one out. :rolleyes: This thread should about be closed.

20. LenovoT61B

Go look on forums. Or on reviews please.

How could anyone like that popup.

By the way, I am not against NOD32. I am trying to help improve it.

21. doktornotor

Thanks. So go figure some more productive way than "improving" a pretty standard pop-up that half of the people doesn't give a damn about and turns it off. For starters, how about a configurable recursion limit for archives scanning (yes, Avira already has that :p)

22. LenovoT61B

I agree with what your saying. Except you have different improvments in your mid then I do. My improvements would be to the GUI, and usability. Of course my improvements would include more protection.

23. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

It can be easy to improve detection, if it will be based on packers, which are common for group of malware. But this thing causes false positives and it isn't ESET's policy. If you want Avira's detection, use it.

If you want their GUI, use them. It isn't possible to copy other products. It's like with suggestion of standard engines in F1. :D

ESET is ESET.:thumb:

24. LenovoT61B

You're not getting my point. There are ALWAYS room for improvements. There has not been a software update in a few months. Where are the updates, how slow can ESET be for these features that people want?

25. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

How can you say that developers are sleeping? Of course, everytime there is a space for improving, but every company has got own plans and policy. Everyone, who wants ease usage, can switch profile to standard mode. Advanced mode is for advanced users, so there is premise that they won't lost there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.