Avira Version 10, when?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

should i stay, or, should i go now...

what's the chance Avira will see the light?

if avast does well (similar to avast) in the next av-comparitives test then it's an easy decision.

2. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

icr,please let the Avira team look into this. There is a thread in the Avira 10 forum started on this subject. It will help us all in the end product. They need more info on this problem. Thanks.

3. riolionel

riolionel Registered Member

Personally I'll stick with Avira 9 free, too bad for me to change antivirus each month for some development lack. I'm finding good with the actual version.

4. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

Webguard contains features that cannot be included in a 'normal' filescan. We do have an extensive URL database (combination of online-lookup and a db stored on user systems) which is used for blocking malicious content from these sites. It is technically impossible to put such a feature into an on-demand scan, as the information (URL) is not present in files.

5. icr

icr Registered Member

I will again install Avira v10 today and will post its problems(If I do find) in their BETA forums. I will keep you updated about avira about proActive part:)

6. Motherroad

Thanks. As I said I started a thread called Maleware detection when I stumbled on your findings. One of the developers asked me for more information. So if you can help out that will be great.

7. progress

progress Guest

Let's hope they fix the update issue for the free version, the ad can be cracked as far as I know :rolleyes:

8. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that. AVG is my choice lately. AVG, IMHO, has a better detection compared to Avast 5 and makes less troubles. Compared to Avira, almost equally good detection rate, no problem with updating and no annoying popups.

I am also very disappointed cause the Avira's behavior blocking module will not be included in Avira Personal.

9. progress

progress Guest

... but Anti-Rootkit is still missing in the free version :rolleyes:

There would be no reason to buy Avira Premium ...

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

@Ance Avg added anti-rootkit in 9.0

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

May I remind all Wilders members that the thread topic is Avira, specifically version 10.

Looking over this thread, there are mentions of Dr. Web, MSE, Comodo, Avast and now AVG.

Do stick to the original topic because if it continues in its present course, this thread's fate is doomed!

JR

12. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

There would be reasons even if they add behavior blocking to the Personal edition: more frequently updating (without the problems), email and web scanning.

If the Personal Edition can be updating without the problems and if ad for Premium edition would be more discreet, I would accept the lack of behavior blocking. But, considering the situation, to be quite honest, it seems to me that Antivir Personal become Avira's unwanted child and that they have no idea how to get rid of it after all these years.

13. abels

abels Registered Member

Not include behavior blocking module in free version ? It's necessary to install a firewall include behavior blocking.
    Can 2 or more behavior-based program run in one system together?

14. smage

smage Registered Member

But is the Proactive module as efficient as Threatfire or does it simply sit there without doing much like the behaviour shield of another popular free Av?
    Has anyone tested it against malware?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have never had an issue with Avira updating, it was actually one of the quicker one's when it came to updating.

16. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Are you talking about Avira Personal or Avira Premium edition?

17. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A few off-topic posts have been removed.

This thread has had plenty of leeway in regards to discussing and comparing AV features with Avira 10, however, we are not going to debate the forum rules again. They are what they are, and they are well known now.

So, please get back to "Avira version 10, when?"

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Personal Edition

19. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Neither have I but that could be something to do with my time-zone.

I assume it's the Europeans that have the problems.

20. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

For anyone testing release 10, have they fixed the updating?

Ice

22. Motherroad

Thanks Marcus. So for the people who do not run the webguard we may become infected and the guard or scanner will not detect it. Is this correct?

23. progress

progress Guest

That's an interesting question, where are the self-made tests? :doubt:

24. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

Webguard is an additional pre-Browser protection layer. You must see this as a part of a layered defense approach. So, if often-changing malware is being spread from an unchanging domain name, webguard does indeed offer additional protection through URL blocking, at least during the time we need to add/adapt our generic detection routines or signatures.

The prevention of browser exploits "before they happen" is also the province of a webscanner. The normal file guard cannot catch the exploit before the browser starts interpreting the results. Of course the on access guard may block additional components needed by the exploit to really have an effect...

Also I personally find the "block hidden/suspicious/weird IFRAME" feature quite useful.

If it didn't offer additional value to the customer, there would be no reason to implement it in the first place (apart may from getting a checkmark in some tests, but that should not really be our goal).

Anyway, I use it on all of my systems, but as I work for Avira its up to you to either believe me or not :)

25. Motherroad

Thanks for the info. However I do believe that if a user is running a seperate HIPS like Online Armor or DefenseWall that the webguard is not needed. I may be wrong but I guess time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.