Avira Version 10, when?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icr

icr Registered Member

I have tested avira with some set of links and Avira has performed really well. The main strength of avira is its Web Guard coz it blocked all the sites that gave potential malware. But When I tried testing avira with web guard off and it missed almost all the malwares :( and executed. Too bad for its reputation of high detection rate :cautious:. Does the proActive module has to do something with poor detection. Because the malwares are quite days old and mostly detected by others products

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

same here after a restore and then reinstall avira. on a 64bit machine

3. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

They probably ought to give me my own dedicated FTP server. lol

4. dcrowe0050

zfactor- All problems fixed and Avira is running great for me right now, even with the Proactive Module installed.

5. zfactor

new version released? i have not checked in the last couple days..

6. dcrowe0050

No same version. Apparently some system files got deleted somehow, I believe it was by Avira but they don't. In anycase I have a stack of DebugView logs to go through and send them to see what caused it.

ver.dll was deleted and some other files were damaged somehow. The only thing I know for sure is that it was not caused by an infection.

but System File Checker fixed and replaced the files and now everything works, I can even browse the internet with no problems so you might want to run SFC just to check your computer. Like I say I don't know for sure if it was Avira that caused the problem but I know that me and you had similar problems and this fixed mine. Good Luck

7. zfactor

yeah because this was FRESH install with nothing but win7 and avira on it.

8. dcrowe0050

Yeah run a scan with it when you get a chance, it doesn't take to long. It run a scan and repaired the files in about 10 minutes on my PC.
    All i had to replace was ver.dll and I just copied it from a Macrium Image and SFC repaired the others. I googled and found this site if you have never used the tool or need help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

9. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

It seems to be working now. The action center however is not detecting the fact that it has been updated nor that it has anti-spyware protection.

10. dcrowe0050

No problems here, but I cant stand that little flag flying so I hid it a long time ago.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm using on a laptop v9
    and is light and fast
    i use the persoal version but i'm thinking about to buy it

may i ask a question about v10 beta?

is light and fast(real time engine) like v9 ?

i know it's still beta , i know ,but which new features will have compared to v9?

thanks so much

12. dcrowe0050

I do not know about the AV. The suite has backup capabilities and a new proactive module. Im sure the AV will include the Proactive module but beyond that I do not know

13. zfactor

thanks dc fixed now. it has to be something from the install of the newest version though because as i said with a totally fresh install and only avira installed i had those issues.

14. dcrowe0050

I got an email from them and support said that they had no idea. He said that the only thing that they could think of was either some incompatibility or it occurred during install of the LSP. But he also said that according to the support collector there were no compatibilty problems with the apps I have installed. At least no that they are aware of. Anyway it is fixed and the only notable thing I have found now is that after running a scan it hangs for about a minute after the scan is finished, and that is not really a problem.. Glad it worked out for you

15. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Anyway you can post the results on this at the Avira forum. I have opened a thread and they are looking for more info. Thanks

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does avira 10 delete them?
    does the on demand scanner delete them or the real time engine?

17. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Got newsletter from Avira today.

Version 10, the newest edition of Avira anti-virus is coming - delivering plenty of extra security and new features. For you this means: worry-free online shopping, guaranteed safe surfing and of course maximum network security. In other words: Version 10 has been developed especially to make online life even easier and safer.

As a valued Avira subscriber, you'll automatically be upgraded to the latest version, free-of-charge. We will roll-out the new version automatically along with our daily updates. You'll immediately notice the revamped user interface, improved functionality, and even more freedom from worries. You'll find more details on what's new and what's improved in this edition of the Avira Newsletter.

We hope you enjoy this issue. Stay secure!

Your Avira Team

Hot topic: Avira version 10 - now with more security for you

Avira proudly presents Avira Version 10, the next generation of virus protection. We're giving a makeover to all our solutions, from the free basic security version through to our flagship AntiVir Professional for business. As well as a new look, all versions also feature easier user guidance systems to ensure maximum protection. Furthermore, we're adding a number of new security features - free-of-charge, of course!

The new features at a glance:

Generic repair (Personal, Premium, Suite and Professional versions)

This function is certain to please all those switching to Avira. That's because Avira enables them not only to detect and delete malware like viruses, worms or Trojans, but also to repair damage that has already occurred.

AntiVir ProActiv (Premium, Suite and Professional)

AntiVir ProActiv sets up tiny sensors on your PC to continuously monitor the system. Any unusual activity triggers an alarm, meaning that attacks and harmful content can be detected and prevented even when the actual code is so new that it has not yet been identified. This means detection of and protection against tomorrow's security threats, even if they're mutated versions that have never before been seen in the wild.

Extended parental control (exclusive to the Avira Suite)

Avira Version 10 makes the Internet safer for your kids. New features include the ability to block more undesirable websites, and also to limit the amount of time your children spend on the Net.

New firewall (Professional edition)

The AntiVir Professional version for networks and businesses includes ProActiv, our innovative early-warning system against threats. The new version includes a new firewall as standard in the Professional edition, plus extended functionality for the Security Management Center, our central management tool.

Version 10 is coming soon – check back at www.avira.com for more information.

18. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I'm disappointed this isn't in Personal.

Just goes to show how much Avast gives for free.

Ian

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! Free Antivirus gives more for free than some do for lots of money. I'm also dissapointed that AVIRA Free won't have ProActive module... and with its dreaded popup nonsense and 24 update check cycles, it's not really the most desired program out there... But AVIRA guys can't seem to realize that...

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but avira has a better malware detect and huge database

21. icr

icr Registered Member

It might have but when I tested v10 its main plus point was its web guard which blocked most of the malicious sites but the moment I turned it OFF the malware was easily installed on my computer and was undetected and also I know no AV is 100 %:cautious: and same is for avira but I really think that they should have better detection from its engine not from its web guard coz many turn their web guard OFF while surfing or while downloading

22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I wonder how well detected by other AVs those samples were, though. Avira's engine is known for high detection.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

We could debate that. I know the attributes of AVIRA, but just raw detection sometimes isn't everything. And AVIRA seriously lacks other things. And less annoying ads... And more often update checking. And inclusion of ProActive part for it to compete with avast! properly. AVG is out of the league for some reason. At least for me.

24. icr

icr Registered Member

Even I was taken aback and yes one more thing they were not from MDL I have collected all the links while surfing for long long hourso_O

Even some of them still aren't detected(avast,norton panda,a-squared,kaspersky detects those malwares) I have mailed all the undetected samples to them:)

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i would like to know if i can log the avast real time shield , to know exactly which files avast open to read

outside avast is super fast , i don't care
    but i would like to know what avast open to read,in the v4 it was possible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.