Avira Update Speed

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Osaban, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Running Avira Personal on XP, my wait for updates to begin is consistently over two minutes and following the update, I get a nag screen.

Very disappointed after what appeared to be a promising and very welcome change, but I recall this has happened before- a day or two of fast updating (usually beginning on a Friday or Saturday) followed within a day or two by a return to the new norm.

Oh well;
    I don't normally use an AV.
    I decided to install and use just to see if the faster updating was a permanent fix or just as before- a tease.

2. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Having disabled the screen in my XP laptop, I installed Avira in a new Windows 7 laptop and never got a screen. I'm not sure if having my updates set to invisible make a difference or not.

Here how it works, Avira doesn't nag me, I recommend the program to everyone. Win/win.

3. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Apparently version 10 doesn't have a nag screen, and if you set your updates to invisible, it doesn't matter how long they take. Out of sight , out of mind.

4. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

LOL... This is TOO weird! I've had this laptop a month with Avira and never, ever got a nag screen until just now and my 8:01AM update.

Shame on Avira, if I can't easily get rid of it I'm going to MSE along with my recommendation.

5. carat

carat Guest

Please use the edit button :doubt:

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Why do you guys worry so much over the update speed?

You've got a good product for free...is it fair to make loud complains over such a matter? Perhaps you are dissatisfied - that's understandable but to heavily or repeatedly condemn the update speed every now and theno_O I'm not attacking anyone here but this 'update issue' has been voiced out too often...

Avira is known to have a good heuristics in place already that can protect you pretty well for days even without the latest signatures. See AV Comparatives for what I mean.

Come on - let's be fair to the developers and give them a break....

If you need 'faster' updates, you might as well grab a freebie license for Avira higher editions (floating on the web) or cut the cake and pay for it. Perhaps by doing so, indirectly a portion of the funds collected can be used to improve their update servers.

However, if you're planning on freeware options (nothing wrong with that - in fact I prefer Avs that have a free counterpart), get an alternative AV - there are a number of choices for you to pick from. If having the latest signatures every few minutes/hours are your top priority/concern, then you might want to look at cloud-based AVs.

Imo, we need to support AV companies that provide a free solution for home users by spreading good words about it. Nothing wrong with a negative feedback once in a while but to nitpick over known issues repeatedly in comparison to what you've been given for free feels kind of treacherous to me.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

So I'm a bit confused here... is there, or isn't there a nag screen in the free version anymore? Sounds like some conflicting information here. I do know that the executable and dll files for avnotify are both still there. So I'm wondering, what are they there for if this nag screen is indeed gone? I wouldn't know because I have a default deny SRP. To be clear here... I'm not going out of my way to block Avira in particular. I think that popup is a small price to pay for a great free product. I just run a tight ship here. I allow nothing that isn't absolutely necessary, not just for security, but because my specs are well below average.

I was thinking about dropping the coin on the Premium version, but I remember hearing many people report that the Web Guard (the main reason to pay for it) was such a nuisance (slowing down browsing) that they end up disabling it anyway. I've heard the same thing about the behavior blocker as well. I'd like to support their product, but I don't wanna fix what isn't broken either. The free version is such a light, stable product for me.

And also do the avnotify files (mentioned above) exist at all on the Premium version? I gather their sole purpose is to bring up the nag screen. So if they are there, I wonder why or what other purpose they may serve? I'd like to hear some feedback from some Avira Premium users regarding these concerns so I can make an informed decision.

8. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

9. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Update speed has been increased for me too.

I also agree. I love the suite and use it although I bought license for OA premium, I am only using avira's firewall, which I find it adequate with a good router.

10. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,

Avira VLab regularly kill signatures that are covered by generic detections to keep low memory usage and bandwidth of update servers.

Lots were killed last week ! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.