Avira to Avast?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Gigabyte, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

Been using Avast for quite some time now and my license is coming up for renewal.Since Avast seems to be getting high praise,I am seriously considering using the free version of Avast and pairing it with a free firewall.How many of you guys have done the same and do you like it? Which firewall are you using? Thanks

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

avast! 5 Free offers great protection.
    The Pro version has two features more: script shield & sandbox. Both nice features but I don't how effective they are. Why don't you try out the Free version and see how safe you feel? For most people the Free version offers sufficient protection.

About the firewall: If you are using Windows 7/Vista I think you actually don't really need a third-party firewall, especially if you are behind a router with a firewall. Both operating systems come with a good firewall with advanced settings and good inbound protection. You can also control the outbound via the Advanced settings. But for most users outbound protection is not a real deal. So if you use Windows 7 you should only use a third-party firewall if you want to fully control your traffic (e.g. Software calling home, Keyloggers calling home (So outbound is only important when you are already infected)).

When you are using Windows XP I would seriously consider a free firewall.
    Candidates: Outpost Free, Online Armor Free, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus. These are all really good, light and contain a HIPS.

My favourite is the Outpost Free (after the Windows 7 Firewall I personally prefer above any third-party firewall).

With a simple setup like: router, updated software and operating system, Outpost Free, avast! 5 Free and on-demand Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware you have a great free setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  3. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Using Avast!5 and Outpost Free on Windows XP.
    This combo is working like a charm.
    Highly recomended.
    My advice for you is to try it and see if it works for you.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

I have used Avast Free with Online Armor firewall(Free as well as the pro) and there you go you have one of the best combo:thumb:

5. progress

progress Guest

Simply yes :thumb:

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Avira is better than Avast. (If this isn't A vs B I will be very surprised.)

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You just opened yourself and the thread up to the possibility of an A vs B though. :D

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.