Avira Scan Speed........

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Arup, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

What do you mean by saying that avira does not scan all .exe files in an exe file? Are you talking about installers? Even if it was so, if the malicious file was executed, Avira would detect it.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Right; scanning couple gigs of an AVI file because some clueless moron likes to click yes on whatever "codec" prompt they get is a wonderful idea. BTW, the scanning is completely useless since the whole AVI but the executable part at the beginning of it is encrypted, so if you don't catch the executable part in your signature, you are just wasting huge amounts of your time pretending to do something "useful".

3. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

I'm talking about installers by saying .exe files. But, "avira does not scan all .exe files in an exe file" this isn't what I mean. I said "Avira doesn't check the all files in .exe files". It's clear. You can try to scan an .exe file to see the difference. You can use the FrostWire setup file, Avast scan 10380 files in it, Avira scans only one. If you scan your whole computer with Avira and Avast(I know well Avast and Antivir, so I compare them to show what I mean), you'll see the difference one more time. Maybe you don't want to scan your computer by thorough scan, but I want to scan my machine with that way. So there should be some options.

Avira normally detects when I run them, but it isn't logical to keep a malicious file(if it's an archive file, it may be logical) until I run them. And aren't there any risks? Can we say that each time Avira absolutely prevents it when I run that? Nothing is %100 in the security world.

I explained it before. If you want, you can do so. However everyone doesn't think in the same way with you. It's true that mostly the executable part may contain malicious things. However, I give a possibility to be still a malicious code in that file maybe. So this is a subjective decision to choose the type of scan. I assume that this is a little problem. But the issue I mentioned above is really important. As a result what I'm trying to say is that users should decide on scanner settings.

These are my opinions, you can consider in different ways naturally.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Do you have references for this? I mean, couldn't avira just consider an installer as a single exe file?

5. doktornotor

Right; and how's that part going to be executed (or scanned for that matter) without decrypting it? :rolleyes:

6. doktornotor

Eh, it already scans SFX archives... If it doesn't for the the guy who complains here, then his install is broken.

Attached Files:

7. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

If you want, you can try with a Service Pack file of Windows. It has lots lots of files in it than FrostWire setup file has, but Avira scans one file, and the scan time is 1-2 second(s). So is it possible? :)

As far as I see, you mean that if it's cryptic? If so, there's nothing to do and those parts of that file have nothing to do, too. :) If it isn't cryptic, it can be scanned normally, so there won't be a problem. And also I think when we run the file, the malicious code can be active even it isn't in mostly executable parts.

And also you should try what I said to @emperordarius. :) I didn't say that Avira doesn't scan anything in .exe files. But it doesn't scan most files which are in .exe files. If you try what I said, you will see the difference, too. ;)

You're both fast on replying. :) But I have no more time since I have an essay due tomorrow. :D So I must log out soon. One more thing I want to say is that English isn't my native language. Therefore I may have done some language mistakes. :) Anyway...

8. doktornotor

There will be a huge problem because you spend time in a totally useless way on scanning something that can never get executed until decrypted. Scanning random encrypted stuff doesn't reveal any useful malware signs, so your AV would rather spend its effort on more useful things than scanning entire video files to find... eh, nothing.

9. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

But this is an on-demand scanning. So my AV should spend its effort more when I start scanning. You think so, and I think in a different way. So I emphasize the settings options, there should me more options like Avast.

Besides, does Avira also scan the most executable parts of the other types of files? I wonder that. Because if it scans these files with this way, it may scan the other types of files with that way, too. But I'm not sure.

10. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Simple practice, assuming system is clean to start, anything that gets download or that ends up on my HD gets scanned regardless so in that regards no time is really wasted if scanning new stuff thats being added to the HD.

Whatever slips by that hopefully the HIPS and the behavior blockers catch the baddie.

11. doktornotor

What I'm telling you is that you won't get any useful result by scanning huge random (encrypted) mess. It doesn't exactly matter whether it's on access or on demand. Completely waste of time in either case.

12. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

@yankinNcrankin, sometimes AV programs may not detect viruses by active protection. Because they don't scan the files entirely not to slow down the PC. But this is enough for active protection, because the things that didn't detected by active protection are mostly passive things. But people should have chance to choose more options for the on-demand scanner to catch even those passive things. That's what I'm trying to say. :)

But the other issue which is about .exe files is really a problem.

@doktornotor, I've already got what you're telling.
    You said "random encrypted". So if the file isn't entirely encrypted, there can still be a risk. And I think Avira doesn't scan entirely the parts but encrypted, too. Besides, I said that Avira could scan the other types of files like this situation. I know these risks are low, however I stated what the scanner settings should have more. That's all. :)

Actually, the main issue isn't this. The problem about ".exe" files is a big problem, I say again this.

I have nothing to say about this topic anymore. Thanks for your responses. Have a nice day.

Greetings from Turkey! :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.