Avira Rootkit Detection Beta available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Stefan Kurtzhals, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This will be free?

3. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

i thought the beta version of antivirus with firewall had anti rootkits already?, if it doesnt will it be included in the final version? also i beleive spysweeper has rootkit detection, will there be any conflicts with either the seperate beta test or if rootkits are included in final anti virus w/firewall beta?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is my understanding this only detects active rootkits and not the inactive one stored inside files. In that case the Avira AntiVir on-demand scanner tool must be used.

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The scan is very fast, scanning 61 process and 15,982 files in 24 seconds only!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But it didn't scan the registry, although I have ticked to scan the registry.

Not sure if I have missed something.

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Great news, this new tool :D .

It did work fine here, scanning in 2.30, which is fast, and showing all hidden stuff, including hidden startup keys, during a test :thumb: .

Removal features are not implemented yet though.

nicM

7. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I'll pass. I hate rootkit detection apps with no removal skills. Just my opinion but it reminds me of some other trial security stuff: "You have problems, but pay money to fix them!"

I know that isn't the case here, but if I use an app, I like it to remove what it finds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.