Avira Premium Suite or this other combo ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Banshee, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi,

which one of these 2 would be better in your opinion ?

Antivir Classic+Comodo+SSM+FF+noscript + some AS _or_ Avira Premium Suite ?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well it probably depends on how knowledgable you are. If you know your way around ssm then that combined with av+fw is your best option. If you want a no fuss easy to use solution then avira security suite is your best bet.

3. Banshee

Farmerlee,

Thanks for posting. I really appreciate it.

Anyway I am not a SSM guru but I'd like to think I can make good use of it.What I usually do is, with SSM, protect my os,av and fw.I also sandbox firefox and my email client (with sandboxie).I then "disconnect user interface" .I am not sure I'm 100% protected but I feel kinda safe like that.

As far as avira is concerned I don't know how good it is catching spyware and malware in general and not sure its firewall is as strong as comodo.I'd like to be able to tell my fw what app connects to what ip and to what port.Can avira's fw do that ?

Antivir Classic doesn't have an email scanner but since I sandbox my email client it should not be a problem.On top of that I use mailwasher pro...

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm not too familiar with the antivir firewall unfortunately, you may have to test it out and see for yourself if it can do what you need it to do. There was a user who posted his results from testing the firewall here,
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=156084&highlight=avira

I thought antivir PE included mailguard but maybe i'm mistaken. You can always try Avast or AVG as they are both free and have email protection.

If you are using the full version of ssm it does allow you to control what app may access what ip. I don't think it covers ports yet tho. I'm no ssm guru myself i'm just learning as i go.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

avira security suite, the firewall is relatively easy to set up.

6. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Money wise, Avira Security Suite is a better deal. But if you want a stronger outbound protection, a dedicated HIPS or sandboxing technology may help.

I've heard that Avira's antispyware and adware detection rates are also good BUT I doubt if Avira can clean remnants like registry codes, cookies, icon files, and other extra non-executable files that adwares and spywares are installing. In this case, a dedicated antispyware program like Spybot or Spyware doctor may help.

7. BVKH

BVKH Registered Member

Hi,

As I have said, the APSS is exhalent and the firewall is solid with plenty of configuration and tweaks. But I would always run specific Spyware hunters as well,:shifty: my choice is (Ewido 7 & Ad-Aware plus).

Regards
    BVKH

Ps: Happy festive holidays to all.:D :D :D

8. Banshee

My question was/is: Is it as strong as Comodo/Oupost ? Just to name 2 good ones.And..can you enter the ips,ports etc you want the app to connect to ?

Quote from #3 "I'd like to be able to tell my fw what app connects to what ip and to what port.Can avira's fw do that ?"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Is it 'rules based' like Outpost/Comodo ?
    That's what peeps are asking.

10. gevin

gevin Registered Member

If your SSM is SSM free, then that is a "superb free DIY suite" available today!

11. BVKH

BVKH Registered Member

Hi,

I am really sorry not coming back to this thread sooner, but Festive holidays and all. I really can’t compare the APSS Firewall to Comodo/Oupost as I have not used them, my Firewall prior to Aviras was Ghostwall, but for more info re letting certain app`s connect to specific IP`s have a look here,

http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=16119

Regards
    BVKH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.