Avira Premium 9 - Slow browsing speed

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Control Panel-add or remove-click change and deselect the webguard
    Also disable it from the tray icon before doing the above ,it should speed the uninstall process.

2. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Ah thank you!! it also closes the umbrella in tha task bar LOL

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

there is a big slow down in internet download manager from about 400kb'sec i get speeds of 700 ok but without gaurd 1mbit...they need to fix that . :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Please install a bandwidth monitor like Bit Meter, Net Meter etc. You will see that you are getting full rated speed. In FDM, It shows half the speed of what Bit Meter shows due to the Avira web guard caching and scanning the data coming in. There is absolutely no time lost, the time to download a 40mb file in Linux is same as in Windows with Avira+webguard enabled.

5. hlc

hlc Registered Member

The Avira 9 webguard conflicts with windows7 7068 after update. But before update, it doesn't conflict. Have to disable it.:'(

6. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

What happens if you change the settings of:
    Drive-by protection and Block Suspect I-Frames

7. Cloud_Shadow

Cloud_Shadow Registered Member

Well i have also experienced a lot of slow downs with Avira 9, specially in the downloading department, it just halved my speeds.

8. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Hello Cloud Shadow.Unless you have other problems the webguard doesn't slow down your downlaod speeds.
    The way it works makes users confused,if u read Arup post or this explanation from AVira maybe you will have a better ideea .

9. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Exactly my point, thats why time a same size download from the same server simultaneously instead of going for the bandwidth speed, you will see that they match with webguard on or off.

11. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I haven't noticed a download speed reduction - just a surfing speed reduction.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Watch the black and white Bit Meter display of actual speed on a 512kbps connection and the FDM window displaying the lower speed due to Avira web guard caching the data.

Attached Files:

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Surfing speed is actually not affected but browser load time of pages is, instead of gradual opening of images, all images open at once, this is same as using Proximotron etc.

15. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

There are two changes in surfing behaviour when you enable the Web Guard:

- web page loading is "delayed" until the entire page is loaded and scanned for malware, will pop up at once then instead of the browser already showing incomplete parts.

- downloading speed is "cut in half" until 50% of the download is finished. then the progress bar will pop to 100%. This is also due to the caching that Web Guard performs. You can enable the Web Guards own progress window to see the real progress.

Beside that, internet speed is never constant and varies all the time. You have to repeat speed tests alot of time.

Web Guard does download the data with the same speed as you did before. The only performance overhead is the actual malware scanning - well, the Avira scan engine is pretty fast. :)

16. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

With new Avira 9 i have noticed several problems.

I'm using Avira Premium V.9 for some time now and i always get freezing at my computer, so i have to "kill" explorer.exe to unlock my PC.
    This is happening always.
    Usually when i open some folders or my computer or when i want to check properties from some file or to copy that file (right click).

Also i have noticed this kind of freezing with Avira Free 9, although i haven't use it that much.

Any help o_O

17. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Ok I have the 'progress' bar activated and I dont see where that
    is happening? once activated where is it?? thanks

18. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it only shows up if the file takes longer than a split second to load (like on web pages with lots of pics ull see the progress bar in bottom right corner)

19. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Ok cool
    and I was wondering with Outpost Pro
    'active content filtering' doing its job
    is there a setting in Anti-Vir 'web-filtering' to really slim it down
    some and still use it? thank you for any and all help

20. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Again, the only thing I notice with WebGuard enabled is a pronounced wait, especially at certain message boards. I have decided not to use it unless something changes in future versions.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What is your browser of choice? I have always had good luck with the Avira web scanner myself.

22. Cloud_Shadow

Cloud_Shadow Registered Member

I would say that the webguard does slow it down, i am on a 1mb connection, and if i let the web guard run, the speed goes to around 30-60 . but as soon as i disable it the speed is back to normal.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Have you measured with Net Meter or Bit Meter to see the actual adapter speed or are you basing this on speed indicated by your download manager?

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I use Firefox, but I think the slowdown happens on IE, too.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, yeah, perhaps just differences on individual systems. I use IE and Opera mostly. But Avira's web scanner always seemed pretty light to me, much like Avast's, with very little impact. I do notice something though. I personally don't like the brief delay in page rendering. So most of the time I do without the web scanners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.