Avira Premium 9 - Slow browsing speed

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

And you're basing that on....? Oh that's right, the god (Avira) can never go wrong. Every programs has flaws, they are made by humans...

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

That's true and i certainly belive those who have tested on their PC's and report that the webguard is slow for them.But your claim "designed better"sounds like bash to me unless you wanna add proofs.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I don't think I need active mode.. it seemed to be picking up malware fine without.

Avira's Web AV is just slower whenever I use it, so I prefer to be without it. It's just a fact that I've had to live with. If you have no slowdowns, good for you, but it's not the case with me. And I have a quad-core computer.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Nope.........Avira's record, various independent tests, my own personal experience and others, looks like all you are basing it on sour grapes and emotions and nothing else. Its a lonely world at the top and for Avira, nothing can be further than the truth. If you read my posts, I compared to my Ubuntu installation and found that there is hardly any impact to surfing when compared to a XPx64 installation with Avira.

As per design, well, for the record, Avira has had minimal issues even with new releases and also minimal system impact. As I mentioned, browsing speed impact maybe PC dependant, in my case, I didn't see any.

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Well, I love Avira's AV, so I'm not bashing. Eset's web AV was much faster on both the computers I have used. So they are doing something right.

6. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

Ok...I beleive you if you say that Avira's webguard slow you down (btw in v8 I've had webguard uninstalled)...but the fact is that only with active mode enabled (in EAV) you can compare Eset EAV and Avira's impact on browsing speed.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

No, I think that shows that Avira needs more options in its WebGuard - just like Eset has.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

I believe you, on my machine, I see no impact.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Not at the cost of detection, Avira has far superior detection than Eset period.

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Agreed about the detection. I'd rather not use the WebGuard and have better detection. But it is possibly something Avira can look into.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Let me ask you, even if its a hit of milliseconds, would you take that over letting the nasties in. Avira today allows one to surf with IE and with no tension as all the nasties are being filtered away.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

On certain web pages, the pause is very noticeable, so is the WebGuard that necessary?

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Well fortunately for me as well as others where they I have installed Avira, there is no such pause so yes, we would live with the extra protection of the web guard.

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Wow how did I know that would come into the equation. But you're right I am basing it off nothing. THAT WAS THE POINT, because your statement that "i doubt it" was also based off nothing. Understand? I seriously can't believe the dribble that you post here it makes me laugh. :D :D:D

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have tried most of them, and the best ones I've seen are Avast's and Avira's.

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the double A's :D AA

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That just goes to show how different things can be on different systems. I found Eset's to be much slower than Avira's on mine.

18. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I think that if you have a HIPS like OA and the guard for Avira you will be ok without the webguard enabled. Not sure of this but I guess we all have a opinion on this.

19. MacAndy74

MacAndy74 Registered Member

I did install the free version of Avira on my work pc - where I must use Windows and I have not found any browsing slowdowns.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

The free version doesn't have a webguard.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The difference is that the web guard should catch it before it hits your HD, and HIPS would be more after the fact blocking it. I think someone once mentioned that the one real advantage of a web scanner is that it could catch and prevent something that takes advantage of a browser flaw and tries to execute directly in browser memory, without hitting your disk at all, in that case, the standard guard would not see it, but the web guard would.

22. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Thanks for that info. Will keep that in mind.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several off topic posts removed. Use personal messages or email to express personal thoughts about each other. Stay on topic.

24. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I haven't noticed any slow downs at all with the web scanner enabled. With the extra bit of protection it gives I am going to keep running it.

25. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

How do you un-install the 'web guard' portion?
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.