Avira Personal Updates- Finally !

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wtsinnc, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

There are too many in the world today that think everything should be "free"

Sad but true.

2. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

More and more people would like to pay for antivirus softwares.But I think some vendors like Symantec always earn money from big business companies instead of personal users.As Microsoft,it sold OEM to some computer makers and make Bill Gates become the richest man.If Microsoft just sold Windows to personal users for earning money,maybe Microsoft just was Apple.

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Thanks! Interesting read.

Ice

4. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

if a company decides to offer free version of a program, then this is supposed to work flawlessly. nobody twisted Antivir's arm to offer the free version. they do it because it's a clever way to get subscribers for their paid version.
    why doesn't the competition have the same update problem? only Antivir. it's a dirty way to force users to get the paid version.

5. Adric

Adric Registered Member

6. speedlever

speedlever Registered Member

I used to use AVG free until I ran into similar update issues and moved on to Avast. Lately I've been using Avira and only recently began to have update issues. May be time to move back to Avast.

The problem I run into is that on systems that I maintain for others, I need to setup auto-updates on everything. Avast times out after 13 months and the users typically don't know how to update their free subscription. I haven't tried Avira long enough to know how the re-up process works.

7. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

YW IceCube, but the credit must go to andyman35 for posting the article here ;)

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

what makes you think that any version let alone a "free" version should work flawlessly?in an ideal world probably but we are talking "real world" here and even though nobody twisted their arm to provide it the free version is always going to play 2nd fiddle to a paid version,no matter which company not just Avira,I actually think that,along with a few enhancements,is what you pay for when you decide to go for the paid for version!

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I agree; they should fix it so that it at least can update.

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I must be one of the lucky ones as although i have Premium version myself, on my sons laptop he runs the free version and he does not seem to have any problems with the update.

For me personally, if the free version does not work, there is no way on earth i would pay for a license.

12. acuariano

yeaj let's hope they can fix it as they stated...but that for monday i bet.

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Nobody's arm was twisted to use Avira free. :p

There is competition (not-free) that has even worse problems than Avira free.

Have you ever tried a McAfee product? The issues with their products are legendary. Absent updates, incorrect updates that say that the computer is infected, or that the McAfee software should be uninstalled and reinstalled. Just an example.

14. acuariano

the problem is that a lot of people still don't know about some antivirus companies..that's why we mentions their problems..
    if avira fix this update problem,,for sure will be a big winner.

15. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

that's exactly my opinion.

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The trial version is free and probably works the same way as the paid version, so you'll have ample time to test if it works right.

17. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well i am still not able to update,must have tried 10 times atleast.......

Also,you cannot blame avira's update errors to number of free users,other free av's like avast and avg never ever had problems with updates....

18. acuariano

the latest definition from avira is Version: 7.01.06.216
    mine is at Version: 7.01.06.213

i tried to update but nothing...

19. firehands13

firehands13 Registered Member

I had to uninstall Avira (beta tester on top of that) because of the failed updates. 6 days no updates, manual updates failed. This is unacceptable. I have read all the excuses and they sound like bull. Did they get 100 million users in the matter of 3 days? The server excuse is a joke.

20. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Again for anyone "Venting" here

There is OTHER options just move to one and don't worry about it. Just better then get all stressed out over a AV product. ;)

21. progress

progress Guest

I second that :(

22. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Yes I moved on also. However, Avira needs to fix their problem and it is their problem not the users who installed the software or more likely their computer person. The problem in not updating is that your wifes,sons daughters computer is at risk. The person who put Avira on the computer may be long gone & who ever is now using the computer may not be aware Avira is out of date or could not update the computer to a new AV if they tried. I see this as a major defect in Aviras offerings. It may be true that at some point Avira's management may say enough but they have not done that yet & still offer the software for free so they should fix their update problem. The fact that you have a free offering should not mean you should not get updates every day. Maybe some of the individuals who are harassing every free user who posts here should instead offer help to those people who are being victimized by the lack of updates. Moreover there are plenty of other free offerings in some of the dedicated forums & free users do get fine advice & help here. I have not noticed any of those who are offering the advice, move on, its free, and don't bother us with posting your problems ,in the paragon or Returnil forums. So why harass the Avira free users who only want their AV to update. If they want to change their AV they will maybe you guys should help them do this

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

You know alot of people think like this. "Free" Software is just that You get to download install it for free, No need to pay for it. They make no promises on updates just that the program it self is free. Your want support you want guaranteed updates then Pay for it and you shall have such. But other then that people should not complain about "Free".

24. gery

gery Registered Member

there are free alternatives that do not suffer the update problem like Avast , Avg, Comodo , etc. there should be something not going well there with Avira besides the servers problem.
    solution? the 5 extra euros should sometimes go to improve the servers:argh: :argh: :argh: :thumbd:

25. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Do you believe it?:-We're in agreement!(lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.