Avira keeps blocking packets from the same IP address

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lych, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lych

lych Registered Member

Every few minutes, I receive the following Avira alert from its firewall: "Deny all IP packets has blocked a packet from IP: 65.55.158.116". It is always the same IP address. I did a whois lookup on this IP and it belongs to Microsoft (full whois info is available here):

I disabled notifications for blocked IPs in Avira's settings for the time being; however, I would like to know why I keep receiving this and why this IP keeps sending packets to me. Is there something in Windows 7 that tries to phone home occasionally besides automatic updates (this IP is not related to windows update btw).

My specs FYI:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Avira Premum Security Suite 9

2. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

you are seeing it because their is a rule in your firewall by dafault or otherwise that is telling it to block all incoming packets. You can change this in the firewall configuration if you wish to allow these incoming packets. As to why this IP address is sending you packets, it could be a few things. I don not know. Possibly windows update..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.