Avira is Winner -Again-

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Look at some of the post about shadowserver..... half the time it prossess with updates being done leaving the AV at 0% the stats on shadowserver are not always accurite some of the things I been reading lately seems to point to the system being good but the prossessing and keeping track not soo good..

Stefan Kurtzhals has made some posts about avira as of late and the problems with Shadowserver. it could be the same for other AV's I dont know maybe he could tell us.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Shadow server has issues with correctly identifying malware. They have screwed up Avira and several others and I am not going to get into specfics, but I trust their results as much as a ~Possibly offensive comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

ty I was trying to think of how to put that my self. :cool:

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. On a yearly basis, Avira is the #1 rated zero day detector of the lot. There was a problem a few weeks ago with Avira and the daily test, but on a long term basis, the test results show what we already know- Avira offers world class protection.

http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Stats.VirusYearlyStats

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmmm..... I usually install Avira for all my friends etc who ask me for an AV.

Recently I have seen three of these PCs where I had installed Avira. All were infected with rouge Antivirus 2008 or something like that. I know any AV can miss these rougware.

Now I am thinking to replace it with AVG free for furure. Resons:

1- AVG covers spyware more than Avire( though total visus detection may a little less).

2- Link scnner will give additional protection( I assume that free version has real time scanning of links- Am I true?).

Also thinking to add Windows defender. Only real time free AS.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Add Defender in Spynet mode and use Avira which is way better in detection and removal than AVG, the link scanner in AVG is a nightmare, better to use fraud protection like the one offered by Haute Secure in Opera.

7. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

For me, the measure of how 'good' a product is would be the confidence one has in it. I try numerous security products. I like many of them, keep many of them. When an Avira product is on my system(s), I just feel better. Not a technical expression I know, nor is it a fanboy thing. Just a statement of satisfaction!

8. Bunkhouse Buck

People, if you have a decent imaging program, you don't have to worry that much about your AV. I use Acronis, Dr. Web and others on a rotating basis. If your system gets infected, you restore the image of a non-infected state- it's that simple.

I agree that a lot has to do with what you like. I have never been infected and neither have 768 computers we oversee, so we are obviously doing something right.

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Can't really recommend AVG 8.0 at all... Lots of issues (install fails, broken updates, broken scheduling, lack of configurability), the link scanner is plain horrible and everyone complained about huge slowdown. Maybe they'll improve future versions, but 8.0 vs. 7.5 is like NOD32 compared to certain yellow products... :blink: o_O

10. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Sandboxie? :D

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... so i must wait for the time being. Problem with HauteSecure is slow development otherwise it,s a good option. May be they are going to be owned by some bigger fish.

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Regarding sandboxie, it is very straight-forward for all of us but it can be confusing for 'casual' users (when to delete, when to recover).

aigle, running avast with windows defender (set to basic membership) is a good combination and it works well.

Avast's web scanner won't affect normal web surfing and urges to 'abort connection' (virus/spyware quarantined) at any sign of virus/spyware making it user-friendly for all users.

While windows defender with basic membership will reference any significant changes (registry etc) and take the recommended action (advanced membership prompts at every change). :thumb:

13. Saraceno

Kind of off topic, but regarding the spyware, they're changing their urls often and continually changing the website.

For example (when you google 'antivirus xp 2008'), not only do they have the top two 'sponsored' links, one site comes with the softpedia 100 per cent clean logo and promoting the IVRL defender package, while the other has some fancy effects chime effects along with the father and daughter image, and all system specifications/requirements listed.

Must be tough adding definitions with zip filenames always changing and the sites looking identical to better known products. New users would be sold right away.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

The PCs I protected with Avast got more malware than Avira in my experience.

15. Saraceno

In all honesty, there's no easy fix. That is, which is free and as easy as possible for 'new/basic users' to understand and use.

I've found new users won't want to perform an on demand scan with a spyware scanner. They might do it once, but that's about it. Maybe the best option is a free AV scanner with paid spyware scanner (SAS or MBAM) to ensure realtime protection and files such as AV2008 are never a problem.

16. Bunkhouse Buck

Agreed-many problems like I had with the NOD 3.0.

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I think you misunderstood me. I was letting people know about the post that has been made about Shadowserver.

here is the posts.

if you want to see the full posts here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=217257

18. Bunkhouse Buck

I am well aware of the posts and I made comments on that thread as you can see. That said, an occasional error in testing does not invalidate what they are doing and the longer term results they show. The Shawdowserver tests are likely statistically significant as there can be seen a high correlation between the yearly stats at Shawdowserver and AV-Comparatives- i.e., Avira is the top detector of zero-day and proactive based threats. Two differing testing methodologies are used with similar results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.