Avira Info! Scan speed

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Medank, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Amen Brother!:thumb:

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, you can be uber veteran and still fail misserably with all your experience if someone injects exploit into perfectly legit webpage thats visited by milions of users daily. You won't even know it. And i have no clue what "speed" you ppl are talking about. I never noticed ANY speed difefrece not with 1Mbit connection and not now with 4Mbit connection. In fact i can't even see any real difefrence with or without Web Shield. However i did noticed bad slowdowns with IMON back in days of NOD 2.5, not sure how v3.0 performs.
    Same goes to Kaspersky (with settings set to High). Very slow page loading and slight delays. Nothing like it with avast!'s Web Shield.
    Well i'm not surprised, it's been like this since it's release and it's still the leading HTTP scanner among all of them. It's just the best and the least problematic.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Could be a figment of my imagination but pages load a tad bit slower, specially those with heavy images. I have two PCs on same connection, one with Avira Premium and one with Free, both use Opera and the one with Premium always loads slower.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I could be considered a "veteran user", but I still use the HTTP scanner in KIS. I notice no slowdowns in the loading of web pages so I'm quite happy to leave the module turned on, and that's on a system only using 256MB memory and an 8MB 'net connection.

5. Bunkhouse Buck

So you are saying that Avast has the leading (fastest) http scanner?

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Avira just gets better and better.
    A good move.

7. risl

risl Registered Member

I'd guess he was trying to say that it has been trouble free since people don't seem to complain about it, or mention it when discussion is about http scanners & slowdowns.

8. Bunkhouse Buck

If that's what he meant, I would trade a little of the http scanner for better heuristic detection.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ppl seriously overhype heuristis WAY too much. I bet you'd all be so happy if there was just "Heuristics" checkbox that actually does exactly nothing. But it would be there. Lets face it, avast! doesn't have heuristics in a strict meaning of the word. But it does have several proactive detection capabilities (AV-Comparatives proves that where avast! scored even better than some well known AVs that do have so called heuristics built-in). The fact is also that they are working for massive proactive feature for avast! 5. When it's released of course.

10. risl

risl Registered Member

It does have excellent generic signatures(&packer detections?), which I believe are those "proactive detection capabilities"

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes, mostly generics and lately pretty aggressive cryptors detection that already proved as proactive measures quite few times.

12. Medank

Medank Registered Member

well that's good that some AV's are working to improve the detection and not just ignore to improve detection rate as bitdefender did from version11 to new 2009 version, i was surprised when i heard it o_O
    they do care alot of defragment and registrycleaner etc,

But for avira they are improving the scaning-engine, and that's good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.