Avira incompatible with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ronjor, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/06/avira_win8_snafu/

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

PR speak. This is not a radically different version of Windows; like I have stated they could have delivered compatibility very quickly had they moved away from LSPs. I imagine the vendors who got there earliest didn't rely much on LSPs.

As for other changes, one can take time for certification. Getting the product working is first priority.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira has released Patch 5 in beta and it should help with stability in Windows 8. I will keep you informed on that.

But, give Avira a break. You folks really need to think about this. I have tested a multitude of products in the last 2 weeks with Windows 8, that claim to be Windows 8 ready.

I would say it is safe to say that about 70-80 percent have issues, even though they are so called ready. Some, major issues, to the extend of my needing to reformat twice.

So Avira doesnt release the so called :thumb: up for Windows 8 because it isnt. It will be, but in the meantime, we are blaming them for being honest.:doubt: o_O

I think we are the ones that arent compatible.:D

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

People don't expect this from a vendor who has a significant mindshare (if not marketshare), that's why you will see people unhappy about it. Avira is one of the top free AVs today; by virtue of that alone they have significant mindshare. The other leaders are out with compatible products; frankly it's less of an issue when your product is less popular as then there won't be that many affected users.

Time to market is very, very significant in competitive business; nearly everyone who worked management in a big business knows that. Stores run bundle deals; small-time PC builders would also buy volume licenses for new PCs to bundle with Windows 8.

Imagine a scenario where a vendor has had a great time with Avira as a reseller or giving it as part of bundles; now suddenly he finds he cannot sell a Windows 8 built PC with Avira on it at a time when many people are likely to upgrade or buy a new PC with Windows 8 on it. Suddenly this guy now has to hurriedly negotiate a deal for licenses with another vendor, which is bad for him; as this would net him a lower profit per license sold (long term/stable relationship = more profit always). Right now Windows 8 sells at a discount both for new licenses and upgrade, and Valve software proved that a 50% discount in price leads to a 100-200% increase in sales. So, for this vendor, it's less profit and a lost sale if he continues to deal with Avira during this period. So what he'll do is sell less Avira licenses. If people are satisfied with the other product, he may shift altogether from Avira.

For Avira, this means less mindshare and less marketshare for the whole quarter. Sometimes, you can make a speedy recovery. Other times, it's a long fall down!

Edit: I don't claim to know market dynamics and the like; this is just a hypothetical scenario I described above. I also don't know the specifics of why Avira has been late with Windows 8 compliance and I understand that things may be difficult and that it's easy for me to talk here on a forum. But that won't change the fact that a lot of people are not going to like it. Being a recognized player in the market means you have to compete and if your main competitors have reached a milestone, you have to do something similar!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. gery

gery Registered Member

Really accurate

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

We are blaming them for being lazy. Win8 went RTM back in summer. If you can't deliver a functional program that might have few glitches here and there, then there is no acceptable excuse. And they just plain failed to deliver.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

They have it ready and it is coming very quickly. I am using it on Windows 8 and it, is, the, lightest yet of all I have tried. Avira baked their cake a little longer but it is good, very good with Windows 8.:thumb:

8. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

New versions of Avira, W8 compatible, are available on Majorgeeks for download.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I downloaded the Premium version from Avira today, it still says windows 8 incompatible, however, ignore that, and it works just fine :)

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yep it's working fine from sometime ago and the update will be publicly released soon.
    Next step for them is to get the Win8 compatibility certification.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

since i switched to win 8 im hoping the bsod problems with sleep i was having will be gone and i will not have to worry about that now anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.