Avira Free and Spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diver, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Avria free is advertised as not having anti spyware protection.

Somewhere I saw a comment regarding the tests at av-comparatives that the free version of Avira would do the same on their malware collection. I don't remember if this was from IBK or some other source.

This leaves the question as to exactly what sort of spyware has been excluded.

The second question would be which anti spyware applications would be directed at this segment of spyware. This is very different from asking which AS programs have the best detection. It is which AS programs are directed at this excluded segment, if anyone knows what it is.

Part of the problem is it is difficult to define where the realm of virus ends and spyware begins.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Whatever ones that can infect your computer and make you buy the paid version..... :argh:

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Good question. I believe the free version does use the same black list as the paid and will catch certain types of spyware via scan or guard but the paid will catch the type of spyware trying to install a service, startup entry, browser modification etc. That is why I use Threatfire along with Antivir free. They work well together and give great protection in this regard.

Ice

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It remains unclear to me.
    I remember to have read somewhere here (don't recall if from IBK) that some spyware detected in premium version is also recognized in the 'free' product, flagged with different names.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think IBK said that the free and paid versions of AntiVir would be the same since his test bed are viruses, trojans, worms, etc not spyware, adware,etc.

I think Solcroft said that many of the major threats that most security vendors classify as spyware AntiVir free detects as trojans or with its heuristics.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Probably right, and based on the Murphy's Law at that.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Right now I have Avira Personal Premium and SAS Pro running together just fine. After my APP subscription runs out I may just try the free antivir along with SAS Pro. Anyone know what protection I would be missing at that point verses the protection I have now?

8. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I think it's pretty simple.

1. IBK doesn't use Spyware/Adware in his tests so Avira free would score the same as the premium version.

2. The free version doesn't make use of Avira's AdSpy (anti Adware and Spyware) definitions so it does indeed lack the dedicated anti spyware protection of the paid version.

3. However, the free version might very well flag some Spyware with Avira's Heuristic and Generic detection capabilities.

Also, a few Adware programs are under the SPR category and free users can indeed check that category under extended threats. Sometimes, legit programs (like sys internals software) also fall under SPR, however. You can exclude them, though.

Hope this helps. :)

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira free can be combined with a anti spyware like ST to provide complete protection for free.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks.
    I guess it's the latter.

11. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

in the German print magazine Computer-Bild a test was published.
    Avira Premium reached 98,7%, Avira Free 94,4% from total 238205 malware files.
    11962 Spyware files were included, that's about 5 percent.
    And 4,3% is the difference between paid and free.

The results posted by a user from German security forum 'Rokop Security' can be found here.
    http://www.rokop-security.de/index.php?showtopic=16855&st=0&p=237185&#entry237185

Cheers

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

So the question is which anti spyware app is focused on the 11962 spyware samples, and not on something else. I wonder what the criteria for spyware is in the sample group. If all it does is track and report one's browsing, its not too serious. If it steals passwords, its very serious, and its omission from an AV would be a fatal, IMO.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I use the Windows Defender with Avira Free. Along with SAS as an occassional double check. So far things are clean. It is a good question. As he said there is a thin line between Virus and other malware at times.

14. 031

031 Registered Member

Is there any xp 64bit compatible antispyware that could be used with avira free ? Thanks .

15. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

SAS comes to mind

16. 031

031 Registered Member

Nicely said . Thin line...................
    does anyone know how AVIRA defines spyware ? ? ?

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

That is the question. (Does it depend on what you mean by the word is, LOL.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.