Avira error <-857735115>: virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by modmal, Jun 14, 2017.

1. modmal

modmal Registered Member

Running Avira free version on windows 7 / Toshiba laptop.

Downloaded a file, had unexpected shutdown message.

I assumed possible virus. Disconnected internet adapter, restarted , tried to scan for virus.

Scan started then returned above unknown error. Now I am worried I have virus and it is interfering with Avira s/w.

In general terms:
    1) If I reconnect to internet, can a virus affect my Netgear router and then other machines when connected to router? Or safe to connect other machines to router?

(Currently connecting i/n using old XP machine + cable and modem to bypass router)

2) Do I need internet connection to re-install Avira free or should I re-install from original download file?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I suggest you contact Avira and they should be able to help you. I did a quick Google search and couldn't much information of help.

I'd say that there is a about 99.9% chance it is a problem with Avira and not a virus.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also think it is most likely a problem related to Avira. As you mentioned uninstalling Avira and re-installing is a good idea. I would also download HitmanPro, it is free if you use it only to scan your computer, and if it finds anything you can clean it within the month trial:

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx

Alternatively if you are worried reconnecting to the Internet, using another computer you can download the Avira Rescue CD from the general Avira GUI and run a scan without booting into Windows so that malware, if any, cannot affect the scan.
    There is another possibility, on my two machines with Avira today, it silently updated it's engine and suddenly asked (very rarely it does so) to restart Windows to finish the update. If you disconnected from the internet during shut down the update might be incomplete and return an error...

5. modmal

modmal Registered Member

Hi Osoban et al.
    I tried the Avira rescue disk and (very slowly over a 24hour period) it reported no detections (based on definitions as downloaded and run off line). Hitmanpro was my next planned step.

HOWEVER having switched back to HDD boot, the machine will not boot normally or from rescue disk either when I switch back to DVD boot. So all I can access is initial setup utility. After that I get a blank screen but for a blinking cursor.

If it will not boot from either, do I have a dead machine?

6. roger_m

@modmal If it took that long to scan, and now your computer won't boot, it sounds like your hard drive is failing, and you need a new drive.

If it is a bad hard drive, most likely you would be able to clone the bad drive, e.g. with EaseUS Disk Copy to a new drive, and then your computer will boot again.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

24 hours is way too long, it should take about an hour or less. If it didn't detect anything, chances are there is no malware therefore as Roger pointed out it could be related to your hard drive malfunctioning.
    does that mean you have changed the boot sequence in the BIOS? I have to do it on my laptops when I restore an image/backup, and sometimes in the past I did not do it properly and the machine would not boot...

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

your avira is corrupted, uninstall, use the remover and install from scratch the latest version
    http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/avira-operations-gmbh-co-kg/avira-free-antivirus/857735115-unknown-error-857735115/

9. anon

anon Registered Member

You already know and trust solvusoft? It smells like snake oil, imo.

According solvusoft
    http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/avira-operations-gmbh-co-kg/page/1/
    :argh: :argh: :argh:

As I have my own database for Avira error codes, I made the comparison between solvusoft and Avira knowledgebase.
    i.e =
    http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/avira-operations-gmbh-co-kg/avira-antivirus/19-avira-error-code-19/
    https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1383
    ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  10. roger_m

@anon They are even nice enough to provide a link to download their own registry cleaner software, to "fix" the errors :argh: It costs $39.95, and of course, won't fix any issues with Avira.

11. modmal

modmal Registered Member

Hi all
    following the hard drive question I took machine to local computer repair shop, where it proceeded to boot fine (embarrassing!). any way they confirmed I was changing BIOS correctly.

Logging into admin account there was this notice: "Blue screen event" but no indication of cause. (Can you see my attachments? I also include Hitman log - basically clear.)

So now I have clean working machine - it just runs slow (processor is AMD Athlon dual core processor 2.3 Ghz, does that explain slow running?) tempted to re-install the OS to improve performance but installing all MS updates might take forever.

thanks all for comments.

Attached Files:

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi modmal

It’s good you’ve recovered your machine. A reinstall of the OS is always the best remedy not knowing exactly what is slowing down the machine. Whether you re-install or not, I would suggest backing up/image your system for the future. If anything happens in about ten minutes you can have your system back.

I use Macrium Reflect free which is a great program and very popular here at Wilders:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

13. roger_m

I recommend that you download BlueScreenView. If Windows saved a memory dump when the blue screen occurred, it should be able to tell you what file caused the blue screen of death.
    Did the repair shop test the hard drive? If they didn't, I highly recommend that you install Hard Disk Sentinel. When you open it, it will give you a very clear overview of any issues with the hard drive, if there are any. The slow performance is probably due to errors on the drive.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

just an information, no more, no less, no reason to discard this or me *§$%&fo-su

page offers several reasons why avira is failing. at least not my problem, i dont use this antivir-BS, just want to help.
    there exist nothing in avira helpdesk about this number, neither nor. they never answered to people. time to kick this BS away on mars.

btw - where is your excuse to insert this useless information?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.