Avira Antivir Premium Recommended Settings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm looking for configuration settings recommendations. Kind of like what Blackspear did for Eset to achieve optimum protection.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

"Select all" threat categories. Scan all files with guard. Block suspicious I-frames with web guard, extended. Web guard automatically block. Those are mine.

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I make 4 changes -
    1. Not install Proactiv.
    2. Turn on detection for all categories.
    3. Set heuristics to high.
    4. set update warning to 1 day.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Did Avira get the ProActive module working yet? I tried it back when version 10 first came out and all it did back then is slow down my computer...:rolleyes: :)

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I haven't used AVIRA 10 from just like you but from what I read on forums , no.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Since its first appearance in V10, it has improved enormously in terms of how it behaves with the rest of the modules. On my computer it doesn't affect the speed anymore although it adds some 10 seconds at startup (at the moment, I'm not concerned as I'm running Vista64 bit).

The lack of dialogue with Avira about ProActiv can be interpreted that it is still work in progress. Having said this, I think the program still has one of the best detection capabilities.
    @ The Hammer
    In my experience Avira is great with high heuristics, set main Guard NOT to scan archives (it just slows down the system), make sure that sensitive applications are excluded in order to avoid FPs and slowdowns.

As far as the scanner section is concerned, I wouldn't check "Follow symbolic links" and "Integrity checking of system files". In "General/Security" I wouldn't check "Advanced process protection" as it requires considerable resources.

This is rather personal, I find the web guard redundant for my security strategy.

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendations and I agree with you that the webguard seems unnecessary and redundant. I am using Avira with Online Armor so this should be plenty tight on my other box. Cheers...:cool:

8. The Hammer

As I'm running less protection than you guys I think I'll keep the Webguard. I'm one of those who always thought it had some value.

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

If it weren't for OA's HIPS I would likely feel more like running the webguard...:eek: :cool:

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Heuristics to HIGH
    Set it to Scan ALL types of files
    Set it to Scan ALL types of malware/software :rolleyes:

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I haven't seen much difference in resources when Avira was set to scan Archive at real time...

12. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

13. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yeah, if you check some youtube videos where Avira free has failed miserably lately, Webguard would have stopped it. I have tested several of those links, just after the videos were upped, and Webguard enabled = blocked malware, but Webguard disabled (which makes Premium like Free in this regarded) = malware free to run. Webguard receives it's own updates, webcatX.dat

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I have no doubts that web guard has been implemented as an extra layer to protect from real threats, and not as a marketing stunt. I don't use it as I'm always browsing sandboxed or in a virtual system. For people running "only" with Avira it certainly adds another layer to their security.

15. The Hammer

16. marcuskng

marcuskng AV Expert

Personally, i haven't ever had a single issue using the extended setting.... but as usual, YMMV.

I also like using the child protection stuff in the suite to block out the 'shady' categories i don't visit anyway.... but that's probably a bit much for many people :D

17. pykko

pykko Registered Member

18. The Hammer

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

max Avira out. You wont see the issues of the past and you will be very protected.

20. The Hammer

pykko, or anybody else. Three Questions:
    1. Why select Games in the extended threat category when the Help files indicate that the selection is meant to kill computer games to prevent employees wasting time?
    2.Why use the File Extension Lists when the Help files state that the use of Smart Extensions is more secure although slower?
    3. Why set the heuristics to High when it is stated in the Help files that FP's can be expected?

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't believe that slightly different configurations settings might cripple or extremely amplify Avira's performance. It is good to talk about it though.

Most people, I believe, choose high heuristics because that is the setting used by AV Comparatives in their tests. I personally never had a single FP with high heuristics in the last 2 years (once I had an update with version 9, which caused a lot of FPs, but obviously it was a mistake quickly rectified).

"File Extension list" for me, their recommendation. I don't understand your query about Games.

22. The Hammer

It's checked off in pykko's guide. Direct quote from the Help files dealing with the Extended threat category."Games (GAMES)

"There is a place for computer games - but it is not necessarily at work (except perhaps in the lunch hour). Nevertheless, with the wealth of games downloadable from the Internet, a fair bit of mine sweeping and Patience playing goes on among company employees and civil servants. You can download a whole array of games via the Internet. Email games have also become more popular: numerous variants are circulating, ranging from simple chess to "fleet exercises" (including torpedo combats): The corresponding moves are sent to partners via email programs, who answer them.

Studies have shown that the number of working hours devoted to computer games has long reached economically significant proportions. It is therefore not surprising that more and more companies are considering ways of banning computer games from workplace computers.

Avira AntiVir Premium detects computer games. If the Games option is enabled with a check mark in the configuration under Extended threat categories, you receive a corresponding alert if Avira AntiVir Premium detects a game. The game is now over in the truest sense of the word, because you can simply delete it." Seems to me this Games option is a waste for the Home user and best left in a corporate version of Avira. I wonder if a lot of people tick the box because it is there and don't investigate what it's meant to cover.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  23. The Hammer

ProActive doesn't show up in my version. I'm using 64 bit so it's not available.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I see what you mean. I'm not a gamer, and I've never bothered to investigate. Pykko's guide is really set for maximum security at the expense of speed IMO. My guidelines are maximum detection capabilities and the lightest footprint.

25. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Osaban, I have set the guard not to scan archives. However the file extension list includes extensions like zip & rar. So are the zip files scanned or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.