Avira Antivir PE Premium and Anti-spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kielty, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I use Antivir PE Premium and was wondering how good is the anti spyware component? is there a need to run anything else in real time with this piece of software?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

check the PUPS test in AV-Comparatives

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IMHO, if you use a non-IE browser then running AntiVir Premium by itself in real-time should be sufficient. Running a HOSTS file may also help.

Recent results over at av-comparatives and av-test.org indicate that AntiVir has an excellent detection of spyware.

IME, most AS programs in real-time are memory/resource hungry and rarely catch any type of malware. Just use a free on-demand AS scanner as an occasional background check.

I run the Premium version by itself on one of my systems, together with K-Ninja, and I have only ever found a few cookies.

4. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Thanks, thats put my mind at rest. Most of the real time anti-spyware i have tested are very resource hungry and i wasn't keen to run one in addition to Avira.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For the average user antivir's adware/spyware detection is sufficient enough. Do an on demand antispyware scan from time to time and you'll be right. I recommend superantispyware free or a-squared free.

On my other computer all i use is antivir premium + ghost security suite. I back that up with a-squared free and mcafee standalone virus scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.