Avira AntiVir 9 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Every setting on high and no FPs with Avira, as for the ad, a very small price to pay for the best AV out there period and free.

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I'm sure Arup is already aware of this :argh:

3. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Good you found a way to disable the advert.. One down.. FPS fix then you got a good old AV from the past to the present.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

One of my friends got a product update: 9.0.0.423 (dated 24.04.2009)

It has the long-waited 7-zip support and probably some other tweaks and bug fixes.
    Unfortunately it seems it was a lucky download from an Avira testing server. :D

It is not yet available to all, but it seems it will be soon: today, tomorrow.. who knows. :D

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Pykko, don't spill all the beans! ;)

The funny part is - people complain about missing support for 7z, NSIS and so on. But once that feature is added, they continue to complain, now about "reduced" scan speed! If you scan more files and unpack more archives/SFX, of course your scan will take longer! :rolleyes:

People complaining about false positives, send them to me (heuristik2@avira.com) and I will get them fixed. Especially when the fps are HEUR/ or .Gen detections. But I also noticed that those complaining about false positives mostly got APPL/ and SPR/ detections, which are often dual-use tools (extract Windows serial number etc.). Which are unwanted in corporate environments. APPL/ and SPR/ should not be used on home user PCs unless you really understand what are you going to detect with it.

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Having tested a boat load of security apps and liking very few, I can confidently say using Avira PE and GeSWall is all the security I need.

Thank you Avira for a superior product!
    Ice

7. Arup

Arup Guest

True Avira users are pleased and we stick to it and are loyal to it, the bickering and moaning is from the vested interests crowd and they have no objectivity in their complaints.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Stefan, why does "Scan system now" link in the main interface always scans with default settings and with simple combined mode for cleaning? If i remember correctly version 8 used settings that were defined in preferences.
    Because i'd prefer to use High heuristics and combined expert mode for actions what to do with the found stuff instead defaults.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yes i would like it if the Scan System Now link would use my settings, hope this can be fixed.:thumb:

10. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Ok, let me ask tomorrow at work where the scan profile for the "scan system now" button went.

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Please, noone can help me about my problem with Avira 9, see my post here n. 122, n. 292 and 295 ? Thanks. ;)

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Sorry. I regret and repent for my sin. :D :ninja:

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

blacknight, what about installing Avira first, then CIS?

14. tipstir

I am sure they'll get it right one day..

15. Arup

Arup Guest

In case of Avira, they already got it right, since version 8 they have been consistent with minimal issues. Avira unlike others have never hosed files, slowed systems down, wiped out MBRs rendering the OS unbootable, so as for track record goes, with the best detection, minimal system impact, good scan speed, Avira is close to getting it right than many of its competitors.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I haven't experienced any f/p's with Avira AntiVir 9 on high settings either.

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

They already have.

The majority of users have no problems with FP's. The majority of users describe avira as doin what it was designed and written for,detecting viruses / malware,and in the end,the job gets done.

18. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well, I have no idea how to send samples, trust me I've tried, but if you go to gamefaqs.com with avira premium on high alot of detections are made (if u click on any system xbox, etc), I am sure they are false positives please fix this thank you

19. tipstir

I'll still recommend this AV I've already done so. As PCT SDAV can't catch them all or just doesn't protect so well if you consider yourself a power user. So far it found 10 pest one USB WD HD and another one it found 100 Pest where the user didn't bother to clean his PC off of Pest, but Avira AV found enough for both users to be happen. They same it was able to removed what it found.

20. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I just got build 9.0.0.430 (17.04.2009) here. :D

21. xan K

xan K Registered Member

so did I, but the update process was painfully slow. :)

22. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Macstorm it's one of the many ways that I tried, alone result. I'm angry 'cause a my friend uses CIS and Avira 9 and they run perfectly.

23. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Just within these two days,my avira updated 3 or 4 major updates.Each is about 5mb. These updates all require reboot. Is that normal?? Or it's just something wrong with mine?

24. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Yep, big update today. 37 files changed but I have not seen any info about what all the changes are.

25. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I updated this morning and a reboot was required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.