Avira AntiVir 9 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

simply install the installationpacket from avira.com there is a 30 day trial in it!!

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I was misunderstood sorry, meant i'm offering to anyone interested to try the suite beyond that period.

3. metalforlife

metalforlife Registered Member

Will the free version detect and remove malware in real-time?

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Yes, it always has and probably always will. What it doesn't have is ability to set it to automatic operation, and this can produce a lot of prompts which are complicated as well for the user.

5. metalforlife

metalforlife Registered Member

Perfect for me.

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Okay, good. Just a warning, if you don't check the checkbox of a prompt, it might not do what you tell it to for 4 times. I clicked quarantine everytime and it would prompt me 4 times for ONE freakin' EICAR-test-file. You have been warned...

7. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I ran this program on a test wireless g laptop. It has detected a program on my USBFlash which is good as I know what it is.. But I told it to denied and remember next time. It has come back to haunt me~ Telling me it has detected the same program again.

That Automatic Notifier which is used to pull in that nag screen when you update the software can be blocked all together with PCT FWP. I am sure other firewalls should be able to do the same.

8. MrGSM

MrGSM Registered Member

Is there any information about french version, we are April 24...

9. tipstir

I already tested this suite I wasn't impressed.

Firewall blocked the internet
    Firewall kept on prompting my network caller ID as I did give it access

I didn't check out the web guard as I could never get on the internet with it. It never could update as it could never connect to your servers. Scanner kept on reporting the same info back that I got with the Free version. FPs (false positive) I like to know what the heck happen to this AV in 2001-2002 it was great to use. The Ad popup you have now in the Free caused one system to crash as I had lock the system so when the update started and the ad GUI Dialog Box with the Okay would be better to use a delay timer code then have the user input to click on okay this make the system wait for the user. But if the user did the same thing I did and lock user account then same would happen.

10. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

will be released the 28 april if no problems occure.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

You probably and most likely have a system which has remnants of your previous installation of other AVs or you are just plain anti Avira for some reason, all the issues you have posted in this thread and other one is absolutely non existant on every PC I have Avira installed in, in fact two of the machines have been running Avira for more than two years. Your whole tirade against Avira in every thread discussing it goes to show you are on some personal mission against Avira, you even discredit established testers who have tested Avira and have given it full marks. The irony of it all is that you don't bring any legit top tier AV like Eset, KAV, Avast etc. into your perspective but all we see is a bottom rung program being declared superior to Avira as per your unscientific subjective tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Well said Arup.

Avira's terrific abilities certainly causes anxiety in some people ;)

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think it's called Envy Anxiety, a common ailment wherein one wishes they had something as good as Avira but are too stuborn to let go of their own and install it. :)

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Quite true and in some cases, its peddling their own wares as well.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The thing I can't understand is that if you don't like a particular AV, you may actually post your problem once, and leave it to that. I don't particularly fancy two big players, and therefore don't even bother reading their threads, let alone post anything negative. Somehow being among the best, it attracts a lot of criticism from people who feel somewhat diminished from not having it, Envy Anxiety is a pretty good definition of it. Oddly enough this happens most of the time with AVs, not so much with other types of applications.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Historian Will Durant said, "To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves." While that may not always be the case, it has given me pause to contemplate sometimes why I go on and on about a particular topic that rankles me... an example would be Symantec. I go through spells where I rant about how crappy their support has been for me in the past, then I chill out and don't feel compelled to post about them again for a long time. :) I'd like to think I am not dishonestly praising myself, but I admit, when I see people taking shots at "the big guy" (whoever that may be at that time), it does cross my mind that they think they are praising themselves by tearing down a popular product. Just a thought. :)

17. tipstir

No so all remnants were remove both HDD, registry locations. None are present. I do have backup images of the first, stable and current build. I use for testing. I am just saying this AV is suppose to be the best but it just doesn't catch the rouge, cloak-malware and I can go on and on and then there is the FPS way to many.

Tested so far

PC Tools INS 2009 (current)
    Comodo INS Free (current)
    PC Tools Spyware Doctor SE with AntiVirus Full Free (current)
    Rising Sun PC Doctor Free (current)
    Avira Free (current)
    Avira Premium + IS (current)
    AVG Free (current)
    VIPRE Non Free (current)
    VIPRE Rescue (free) (current)
    PrevX Business (current)
    PrevX Home (current)
    ThreatFire (current)
    RegProt (free) (current)

Out of all of those above none (except AVG Free) was able to catch Win32/Heu/dropper 75411.exe, There was a few more hidden in side the C:\Windows\System32 that nothing could even fine except AVG Free did and ThreatFire found one also in Local Settings\temp folder.

Threats that were setting up as Run as or Run - RegProt was popping up like an advert.. Never fails and it's for free go figure a simple program can do wonders.

Those that work were..

A-Squared Free (found high threat cloaked-malware
    AVG Free (found 2 viruses and removed them
    VIPRE Rescue 5.x (needs to run in Safe Mode) it found 5 threats in the registry and only removed 2.

Those that crashed badly were
    PrevX Home and Business..

You got to understand one thing these programs only work good if they have all the AV/SPY/MW defs otherwise they can't detect the worst ones. Still one of the cloaked or hidden threat was blocking A/V from updating or you couldn't even go to their sites I would get a message saying Firefox was unable to connect to the server.. All had the same issue. Except ThreatFire could update.

Setting ThreatFire to Level 5 and using max setting for custom did find some threats but as much as AVG Free did, even though this couldn't update it did managed to say it found Virus located in System32 folder it was cloaked.

Anyway this wraps up the testing.. I've blown and use wipe IT commercial CD we use at the client on HDD to all zeros and installed fresh copy Win7 on it now.. The other systems will still have XPPro SP3 and the server SP2.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  18. Arup

Arup Guest

So av-comparatives and other sites are talking crud when they consistently for the last two years find that Avira's detection rates are the highest.

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

What? Where is av-comparatives talking crud?

20. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I think Arup is being sarcastic with that statement.;)

21. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Especially since AV-comparatives awarded Avira AV of the year for 2008.

22. Arup

Arup Guest

Thanks Tester :)

23. tipstir

The threat is worst than years ago.. Anyone can setup a test lab and hire some techs and sit there and run some scripts to trigger Trojans, worms, malware, viruses, spyware, bad tracking cookies an etc.. Comodo has their little apps to run to see how well your protection is that's so cute.

Real time is different. I know most of you won't run into what I see everyday. I tell clients listen this is what you need to do and this is how I going to fix it. Friends and family I do the same thing. If I have to rebuild the system, then protected correctly then you should be set. Those who don't follow the rules will get a boot disc to recovery of a partition image before they got their systems screwed up. They get instructions also as I got tired to saying the same info over and over again.

So if you see the task bar disappear after you boot up, if you see AntiVirus 2009 flashing run stick the disc in press reset and run the recovery disc. All docs and important stuff is on a partition drive along with the backup image. I can't see how anyone would screw up. Anyway this the way to do it.

Also last test had shown that AVG Free was giving FPS and slowing down the system over the network, it was using system resources like crazy as if you were going to scroll over network drives files it would slow down. Once AVG was shutdown the problem was gone. Version 8.5x..

I think the folks over AVG Free has to go back and see what the heck is going on with the free version. Why is it scanning files so slowly and hanging the system. I had scanned 6GB of data on C it took good 1 hr to scan. Again they need to pull out the adverts another waste of CPU and system resources.

Spyware Doctor with AV I need to change some settings and give that another shot as that doesn't run slow. Still to me if the system is a brand new build and you configure the right protection using ThreatFire then you should be okay. This is going free though.

As for Avira they need to rid the advert or limit the features for the free version. Crack down the FPS. AVG Free need to do the same and fix the high CPU spikes. Guys go back to the basic GUI to scan/capture/remove for pest you don't need to use high res frame windows.

24. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I had zero false postives with Version 8 and have zero false postives on version 9,using all settings on high.

25. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hmmmmm...I see this thread diverting from its original title and purpose and becoming increasingly an A vs. B thread plus personal attacks.

I believe it might be drawn to a close pretty soon. I'm hopping to be wrong but...

Best regards,

Carlos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.