Avira and Win 2008 Server

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fajo, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok I Just bought Win2008 Server I'm using it for a powerhouse Workstation OS as there is many performance increases to this. can anyone tell me the Lic I use on my XP or Vista systems would cover the Workstation OS or do I have to use a diffrent Licance becuse it falls under a Server OS ?

Everything I read on this seems shechy so I would like so imput. :D

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Nope you need to buy Avira server license separately and its mighty costly just like other server OS.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

/sigh

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Plus - licensing issues set aside, it will refuse to install on any server version of Windows.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I'm doing the same thing, using Enterprise Server on my laptop. It still amazes me how Server outperformed a similarly tweaked version of Vista. Glad to know there's someone else out there; most people who haven't seen it don't understand.

When I originally installed Server, Avira still didn't have the Enterprise version in place so I had to look around for alternatives. Nod32 Business, Symantec Endpoint, and Sophos are OK paid substitutes. FileSecLab's Twister (almost free) and Rising are no cost alternatives.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

2008 server rules, when tweaked to workstation mode, its the fastest MS OS ever.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

for awhile i done a dual boot, vista and server 2003. used easybcd to sort that out. one of the problems was that paragon wouldnt work on vista no more because it detected a server OS on the machine.
    some av's business licenses also work on servers for example
    my advice is to try server 2008 setup as you want it in a vm and make sure all software you want to use works before you install it properly.

if i could afford a server 2008 standard license i would get it and use it as a workstation but i would also need to buy some new imaging software...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

True Image works on 2008 just installed it and backed up the partition. I hate to think of not running a AV on this one but there is no way im paying what they want when I'm not even using it in that way.

Tho I do have a Bis key for Eset so in all honestly I may stick that one on the server

10. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Why not use Rising? It's free.

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

for 2 reasons one I have a key for Business Edition of Eset and I really want something with proven protection when its running on one of my main systems. but thanks for the recommendation anyways

12. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I manually installed Avira free on Server 2008 and it worked, but it wouldn't update. You have to download the updates manually and install them.

What version of True Image did you install? TI 11 Home wouldn't install on 2008 Server. Paragon Hard Disk Manager worked fine, IIRC.

I can't believe people would pay a premium for such a miniscule performance increase. :rolleyes:

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

When you run 21 Servers... the price pays off. as stated now in my Sig they use the Bis edition of Eset now. good for what I was looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.