Avira and Sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Nov 20, 2016.

1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have been running Avira Pro and Sandboxie a long time on my Windows XP desk top.Recently it started giving me a pop up when I close Fire Fox. If I click on the ok then Sandboxie will close. I'm not sure that Avira is the problem,but it is the only thing running.

Attached Files:

2. guest

guest Guest

I think you have selected the option: "Automatically delete contents of sandbox" (Sandboxie Settings - DefaultBox - Delete - Delete Invocation)
    If it's the case, you can circumvent the pop up with deselecting the option.

Some other application may keep a file handle opened within your sandbox, and because of that Sandboxie can't delete the sandbox.
    There is a thread about this problem:

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I've always used that option "Automatically delete contents of sandbox" but never faced that issue before until recently, iirc in the last stable 5.14 and above.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

All Sandboxie users get that message sometimes. Its usually caused by a real time scanner that locks files when it scans inside the sandbox as you close sandboxed programs. Its normal to get one of them once every few weeks. If you are getting the message every day or every few days or it becomes bothersome, then you might want to switch scanners.

In your case, I reckon is easy to figure whats causing the lock as you are only using Avira. If you were using a few security programs, you would need to run something like Process explorer for trying to figure out the program causing the lock. Even though Process explorer can be useful in this situation, sometimes it wont help as the program putting the lock on files might have released them by the time you run Process explorer.

In my personal case use I used to get about 4 of those messages a year when I used scanners to none after I stopped using them. The only time I get that kind of message now is if I am doing too many things at the same time and opening and closing the same sandboxed programs too fast. Sometimes you might get the message and the sandbox contents still got deleted just fine, but if it didn't, you can reboot the PC (this releases the files), and delete the sandbox manually afterward.

Bo

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

It looks like I will just have to live with it. I'm fairly sure it is Avira because it is the only thing running real time. But I like Avira and I like Sandboxie. Happy Thanksgiving.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Try Malwarebyte 3.0 beta and Sandboxie (uninstall Avira). So far they both are playing well in my system.
    Please, do a system image before proceeding... You know, just in case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.